NEXT STEP

Google Home Mini for Australia

Google Home Mini for Australia

Plan

Family

Country

Australia

My Question or Issue

I received my email link for my free Google Home Mini in Australia this morning and after choosing which colour I wanted, I was sent to the verification page. 

I clicked on the checkout for Google and was sent to the main checkout for Google. It asked for my personal address etc that I didn’t fill out yet. There was a Spotify promo code issued for the cost which made the balance $0. 

Unfortunately being a family account I had to do family stuff and put away my phone without completing the order. 

I came back to finish off my details and it had timed out. I went back to the start, back to the checkout and back to my email and each time there was no promo code issued and I was being charged fully for the Google Home Mini. 

Can I have this rectified please as I’d like to avail of the offer. 

Thank you. 

54 Replies

Same thing happened to me. I spoke to google who cancelled order for me and told me to speak to spotify but i cant find a way of contacting them. Can anyone tell how to send them a message.

Same here, tried first time and something went wrong, tried again and ended up being charged $79. i promply cancelled the order.. How do we claim it again as i tried again and it said only one use. 

Yip, happened to me as well.. first time said there was an error, than second go after putting payment details in amount said $79.. no promo code

think they only let you try once...silly

The Exact thing happened to me too. if anyone finds a way to fix this please respond!!!

I was following the same instructions and getting to the google checkout page and although it said the code was applied at checkout, the cost was still $79.

I tried following the same instructions but in 'incognito' instead and this worked for me. When I got to Google checkout, I could see the -$79 and the outstanding balance was $0. 

Recommend trying the same and hopefully, it works for you. Must be something about cookies and your cache. Another option is to clear your cache and see if that works. 

Spotify help aren’t that much help as all they tell you is that your code has been used so you cannot use or get a new code. 

Bad service I think. 

support@spotify.com Is the help email. 

Not happy long time customer here. 

I'm in the same boat. The discount wasn't applied at checkout so I paid $79.
I have since cancelled my order but now i cannot claim the google home mini because its recognised ive "claimed" it already. Even tried using incognito webpages and all.

Anyone else found a soloution?

Sorry to hear other people are in the same boat - pretty **bleep** service that they have not bothered to reply to my last email even.

Isn't it frustrating and infuriating when a company makes a "generous" public relations gesture and behind the scenes makes sure that it is never going to work - or will work for as few as possible.

When the Google store tried to charge me for the initial purchase, I backed out and looked here. Found the excellent post about using Chrome's incognito mode or deleting cookies.

So I managed to push it through the Google Store, -$79 discount applied, no charge.

Thought "Great!"
A minute later I got an email from Google: 

GUEST ORDER
Your order was cancelled 
Hello 

We had to cancel your order because we were unable to validate some of your information.

And do you think there is any way to get Google Store support on a cancelled order? Chat is unavailable, there is no email support and the phone callback (from Singapore) calls me back, says sorry try again another time and disconnects.
So, how much time does one was waste on what feels like a really mean PR "scam" ? I have a Google guest order number - and that does not work in any of their Order status pages. 

Sigh. Mark me down as another victim ....

Google cancelled my order for being "unable to validate" some details.

No further explanation.

Can't re-order because the "code has been redeemed".

How ridiculous.

Looks like contacting the Office of Fair Trading might get more response than posting here...

Some consolation from knowing that others got dragged along this path and it's not just me.
I'm wondering if there's anyone who has actually scored one of these under this scheme. I doubt it. (And you can see this happening in other countries as well)
And ok, for my stress level's sake, I'll walk away... it was a freeby anyway.
BUT... I do think they should be called out on it. Not here, because Spotify just ignores this forum.
I'm hoping that everyone suckered with this deal will be vocal on the public forums, like Twitter and FB. I heard about this in a tech site article (Gizmodo or one of those) which praised Spotify for their wonderful offer. 
Sure, a trailerload of BS.... Grrr

DO yell out where you can.

I had another go with the link after a couple of days and this time it worked. I received my home mini this morning! 👍

I ordered my google mini this morning, got the conformation email then 6 minutes later got another email saying my order was cancelled. I have contacted google asking why and am trying to contact spotify but there is not much info on contacting them. Grrrr.... Not very happy about the customer service 

My order was cancelled by Google too. From what I am reading it doesn't look like I will be getting my google home mini. 

For anyone wondering how to do this. I waws instructed to do the Steps in incognito mode or inPrivate browsing.

Open the link Sent in your email in incognito mode and follow the steps there. this worked for me and seemed to work for others too i hope this helps you

Thanks, Brandon

Thanks for sharing your experience Brandon. The incognito mode appeared to work for me too and let me place the order correctly (ie. $0 charge) etc. It seemed fine, and I received an order confirmation

But a bit later I got another email that said the order had been cancelled. (Like many others here)
Maybe a cautionary note for you to keep an eye on your order. Please update with the progress. Glad to hear that it's working for someone

Added edit:
I'm wondering if the difference is for people who have a gmail address, so that even in incognito mode, Google can confirn your details. My bad. I have two email addresses and I thought I was being clever in not using the gmail address in incognito mode. Maybe I should have...?  (Deep sigh, resigned shake of head)

I just tried the link via incogneto and it didn't work, Looks like my code has been redeemed and than my order cancelled. 

Hey I am sorry to hear that I actually just received my package yesterday
so my purchase was successful and order was completed. I don't know why it
would cancel the order. You might have to get onto Spotify for that one.

Suggested posts