Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with adding my daughter

Solved!

Issues with adding my daughter

I have Spotify Premium and I already added my wife and my son. Now I want to add my daughter.

- I live in China. 

- My VPN is on Taiwan (Why? Because you need a VPN in China to access foreign websites and Taiwan is the fastest location)

- My credit card is in Hong Kong (Why? Because Chinese banks do not issue credit cards to foreigners). 

- On my Spotify profile, the address is set to Hong Kong (because of my credit card location I assume). 

When I wanted to add my daughter, my account asked me for my location. I have put my address in China.

I wanted to put that address though the invitation URL sent to my daughter's email but then Spotrify tells us we do not live at the same address. 

So how do I add my daughter now?

Thanks... 

Francis 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for the question @FrancisduBois!

You're right - If you were able to change the payment method to one from Belgium but your account is still set to Hong Kong, you'll need to wait until your next payment date so that the change will go into effect.

When your next payment goes through your new registered card, the account should sync up and you will be able to add your family members to the plan.

You can keep track of your subscription's status with the steps here.

We hope this info helps. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @FrancisduBois ,

Thanks for reaching out.

Since you've mentioned that you're located in China and Spotify isn't currently available there, I'm afraid I'm unable to provide any help.

Spotify uses the payment method registered with Spotify as a region verification of its users. That's why you're seeing Hong Kong set as country setting on your account page. 

Lastly, I'd like to mention that Spotify doesn't officially support the use of VPNs.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately, it doesn't help me at all. 

I would assume, that directing my VPN to my home country, linking that credit card to it, and adding my previous address there, should make it work? 

Best regards,

Francis 

Hey @FrancisduBois ,

If your VPN is set to your home country (TW) then the payment method (registered in HK) won't work, due to it being two different countries.

For some more info about Premium Family, I'd recommend checking out this support article.

Thanks. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello Maxim,

Thanks for your input.

The current setup is exactly like you mention: VPN in Taiwan, payment method in HK, and this for the past 5 years, so no issues from that side.

Getting back to the solution I suggested in my previous message: using my other credit card from my home country + setting up my VPN in the same + using my address there should do the trick? 

Best regards,

Francis 

Hey @FrancisduBois,

Thanks for keeping @Maxim in the loop and following the suggestions so far 🙂

Just jumping in to confirm that having the (1) account's country settings, (2) payment method's country settings and (3) the Family members' addresses perfectly aligned should do the trick in your case. 

It'd also be great for you to keep an eye on the support site article @Maxim linked above since it lists all the conditions you need to fulfill in order to successfully start the plan.

We'll be here if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator

@Maxim

Hi @Mario, 

I changed it all for the setup and tried to invite my daughter to join the Premium Family account. The invitation URL indeed included the new location (BE instead of HK) but when trying to recognise my address there, it still said it seems we were living at different addresses. 

How much time until it gets updated? Until the next payment (12 October is the next due date with payment on the credit card in Belgium)? 

Thanks,

Francis 

Marked as solution

Thanks for the question @FrancisduBois!

You're right - If you were able to change the payment method to one from Belgium but your account is still set to Hong Kong, you'll need to wait until your next payment date so that the change will go into effect.

When your next payment goes through your new registered card, the account should sync up and you will be able to add your family members to the plan.

You can keep track of your subscription's status with the steps here.

We hope this info helps. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator

Thanks a lot. It's a bit cumbersome that we need to wait 3 weeks for her to join...

What will happen withe the previously associated family members? Do I need to change anything for them? 

Best regards,

Francis 

Hi all,

I have done all the below: moved the account to Belgium, moved the credit card payment to my Belgian credit card, put my address in Belgium. I also waited for the first payment to be done October 12 so all settings were aligned. 

But this morning when I sent the invite to my daughter, it still said we had to have the same address. That's not possible.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Francis  

Hey @FrancisduBois,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you also make sure that your daughters account is also set to Belgium. If your credit card, saved address in the subscription and country setting in the account are all set to Belgium, could you make sure that your daughters account is also set to Belgium? She would need to use the same country setting for her VPN when accepting the invite. 

If that doesn't do the trick, it's a good idea for her to try accepting the invite with an incognito browser or on another device altogether, if that's an option. The reasoning here is that data stored in her device and browser might be causing such issues.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts