Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Managing accounts that play on Google Home

Managing accounts that play on Google Home

We just signed up for a family plan and received a Google Home assistant for christmas.

This is kind of hard to explain, but...

Spotify has played fine through the Google Home device, until my father-in-law attempts to play from his phone.  It stops the music from Google Home and plays from his phone.  We already tried to "forget device" in device settings but it continues to persist.  We have the family plan and our accounts should be separate.

How do we disable his account from being able to "hijack" the Google Home device when it's being played through a separate account?

2 Replies

I have very similar problem.  There are four members of our family (living at the same address) and we have a Spotify Family account.  Our new Google Home is tied to my account.  When I'm away and using Spotify, the family members at home cannot listen to Spotify on Google Home without taking it away from me and vice versa.  I think the solution is to treat Google Home like another family member and create an account for it.  I think we can have five accounts on a Family plan, so this should work out OK.  Would this be a violation of the Family plan rules and restrictions?

I contacted @SpotifyCares on Twitter, explained the problem and linked to this thread and another one I found with same problem.  This was their response:

Thanks for the info. Currently, it's not possible to link multiple Spotify accounts to Google Home. For now, we'd suggest unlinking the account that's not using the device. Don't worry, we'll pass on the suggestion to our developers /PB

Suggested posts