I've done some searching and believe--unfortunately--that I know the answer, but want to lay out the scenario below. I was super excited to switch from Amazon Music Unlimited to Spotify (the UI and customized playlists won me over) and took the plunge today, but trying to set it up in my home has been a frustrating challenge taking up most of my morning.
The primary frustration, as I've read others have had, is the inability for different users on a Premium Family account to listen to music on separate speakers in the same ecosystem at the same time. I've tried to associate different family accounts to the different systems (Alexa and Sonos), but there's still something that will cause music playing on an Amazon Echo in my office, ostensibly using the Amazon Alexa Spotify skill enabled under my Spotify account, to be interrupted when my wife starts music on a Sonos speaker in the living room using Alexa, even though the account registered in the Sonos app belongs to her.
Can someone confirm that what I'm trying to do is indeed impossible under the current Spotify account structure? Is there a workaround that doesn't involve going "Offline" to make things happen correctly?
With Amazon Music Unlimited, we were able to stream up to 6 devices simultaneously under one account. Needless to say, this was much easier and conducive to a multi-user, multi-speaker environment.
I see this has been an "idea" being worked on by Spotify since last year. If/when implemented, I will consider switching again, but for now this is a deal-breaker. Limiting Premium Family subscriptions to users instead of devices is overly complicated and burdensome.
For what it's worth...
- 2 x Echo Dots, 1 x Echo
- Sonos speakers w/ Alexa voice service
- 2 x iPhones, various computers, etc.
- Premium Family Plan
- 3 x Accounts (Myself, wife, child)
- Each user can play music at the same time on whatever device they wish
- May include playing music on a device, leaving the room, and starting new music on another device even while music is still playing in the room that was left
- Link one account (wife) to Amazon Alexa Spotify skill
- Link one account (myself) to Sonos service
- All combinations of sign out/sign in/different users on different things
- I can play music on my iPhone while music is playing on Sonos2
- If music is playing on Sonos and I try to play music on Echo Dot or Echo, Sonos music stops
- If music is playing on Echo Dot or Echo and I try to play music on Sonos, Echo music stops