Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple Family User listening at the same time

Solved!

Multiple Family User listening at the same time

Why can't my daughter and myself be listening to Spotify at the same time when we have the family plan? What is the point if you can't all listen when you want to without kicking the other person out of the account.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @msr,

It sounds like all family members are trying to use the same Spotify account to listen to music at the same time. To be able to listen to music at the same time, all family members need to have their own Spotify account. If they don't have a Spotify account yet, they can sign up here.

You can learn how to invite family members to your Premium for Family plan here.

Take care!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @msr,

It sounds like all family members are trying to use the same Spotify account to listen to music at the same time. To be able to listen to music at the same time, all family members need to have their own Spotify account. If they don't have a Spotify account yet, they can sign up here.

You can learn how to invite family members to your Premium for Family plan here.

Take care!

MaximSpotify Star

Do they each have to pay for their account...if so why have a family plan

I have Spotify on my mobile, Sonos, TV, 2 ipads, 2 laptops and 2 stationary pc. The same goes for my wife and kids. Sonos, TV and the ipads are used collectively by the family. It is a no go to have to log in and out of Sonos or Ipads just because the account holder uses his or her personal devices. I have created accounts for the devices, but now I have to transfer playlists between the accounts. Spotify - if you listen (I doubt that), solve the problem! Let me use my account in more than one place at the same time as long as I dont exceed the licenses...

Hey @Deadhead1,

No, you'll get one simple bill every month to cover the whole family. It's always $14.99, for you and up to 5 people.

MaximSpotify Star

Hey @jeblo,

I've passed your feedback about this onto Spotify 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Thanks! (was not possibly to press like)

I am not sure what's wrong, we have the family account...my son and I can not play music at the same time....he plays something and when I try to play something it will switch to my device it will say play on x's iPhone and I am listening to his song, and he can't listen to anything....we can't use Spotify at the same time.......help

@Deadhead1

Maxim wrote:

It sounds like all family members are trying to use the same Spotify account to listen to music at the same time. To be able to listen to music at the same time, all family members need to have their own Spotify account. If they don't have a Spotify account yet, they can sign up on http://spoti.fi/2e1FH6k.

You can learn how to invite family members to your Premium for Family plan here: https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/premium_for_family/premium-for-family/

MaximSpotify Star

All my family members have different accounts, but we still can't listen at the same time.  Can someone please fix this?

I pay for Premium every month. My son and I are the only two on there. We can't listen to music at the same time. It switches the music back and forth from the both of us. Even when I'm at work and he's home. Which is approximately 45 miles from me. I'm not paying for Premium another month until you guys can fix this issue. It's ridiculous that I pay for music and can't even listen to it because I give up my music time so my son can listen to Spotify. It's been doing this since I got Premium. And it sounds like there's a lot of people on here having the same issue! Fix it or I'm going back to Pandora. Thanks in advance.

Hey @sasafras7,

Just to double check, are you currently subscribed to Premium or Premium for Family?

MaximSpotify Star

Hey @sasafras7

Spotify accounts are designed so that each person has their own account. Each Spotify account can only play on one device at a time.

If you are sharing an account, I suggest checking out the family plan so that you can each have your own account and both listen to music at the same time with a discounted price.

The way Spotify Family works is that each person creates their own Spotify account first if they do not already have one. For everyone to create a Spotify account they will need their own email address.

Once everyone has their own Spotify account you then invite them to join your family plan and then they sign in with that account in the app. Make sure everyone enters the same home address when it asks for verification. Then everyone will be able to listen without interrupting the other users.

Check out these pages for help with the Family Plan:

https://spotify.com/family

https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/premium_for_family/premium-for-family/

https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/premium_for_family/

MattSudaSpotify Star

I have premium for family and just sent out invites to 2 family members, they accepted the invitations and set up new Spotify accounts using their emails and new passwords for each family member. 

The final step I just figured out that is not explained here is that on the app you have to log out of the original family members account and re log in using the new emails and passwords for the new family members.

Then you can play on the same account at the same time.

Unfortunately all playlists have to be reset up as are not linked.

Suggested posts