Casual Listener

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Sonos, Echo Dot

My Question or Issue

I have a Spotify Premium Family account. So we should be able to play each on different devices different music. This does not work. It stops playing when another song is activated on another device.  And also a second question : All the Alexa devices have the same Alexa account ( so they are connected ) , but can I use 1 Alexa device for 1 family member, and another device for another family member? 

22 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Premium Family and Alexa

Community Legend

Hey @Marleenvd thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community,

Because of the fact you can only play songs on one device at a time on Spotify, you will have to connect each device to a seperate Spotify account.

Best,

Jack 🙂

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Thanks, Jack, that is an option for Spotify. But my Alexa devices are on the same Alexa-account ( or they can't communicate with each other, which is the goal of having Alexa ), and I think I can only use 1 Spotify-account on my Alexa-account.

Highlighted

Hey @Marleenvd.

Thanks for getting back to us, and apologies for the late reply!

Yes, that's right - each member of the family has to have their own Alexa account linked to their own Spotify account in order to be able to listen to Spotify on their respective devices.

Here are the instructions on how to link each Spotify account to its respective Alexa account.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions about this.

Happy listening 🙂

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

Hi,

I have 5 echo in my house, two kids and a wife. Each time someone ask music in there room, Alexa stop music in initial place. It works with Amazon music family account. Why not with Spotify? 

Highlighted

Visitor
This is real shame Spotify did not think to solve that

Actually this is the only subscription I have that makes those kind of issues.

What is the idea of having family account if you cannot listen in separate per user??

Sadly I think I will go back to use Amazon Music.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

This is why I have both Amazon Music and Spotify.  Amazon Music is awesome for playing music with Alexa (8 Echos & 5 people), but is terrible in any other scenario.  Spotify is awesome in most scenarios, but making it the default Alexa music source is a recipe for great frustration.  Spotify was my Alexa default music source for about one day: My wife stopped home for lunch and played music on the Echo, which killed the music I was streaming at work.

Once either service fixes their issue, I'll cancel the other.  Honestly, I think Spotify can fix their issue much easier than Amazon.  Amazon Music's apps are terrible and need complete re-writes.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I have used Spotify for years.

I thought the point of Spotify family was to allow a family to listen to music when they want. 

The inability of the service to deal with smart speaker\home issues is a real pain. 

Its a single household, we should be able to listen in multiple rooms at the same time without assigning the devices to individuals.

Highlighted

Hey folks - help's here!

It should be possible to have each account in the Premium Family plan linked to a separate Alexa account.

This will allow each Spotify account to use its own Alexa-enabled speaker without other accounts interrupting playback.

Do you mind checking out the steps in this support article and seeing if this resolves your issue?

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you need any further help.

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

Visitor

I have the same problem an I think many users have. If I am driving and listening music and my wife at home says "Alexa play this and that", my music stops. The reason for that is, that you can theoretically switch Alexa accounts bevore starting a song but you don't do that if you want to listen to a song spontaneously. So I have to pull over (because I don't want to use my phone while driving), go into the app and restart my playlist. Than I call my wife, tell her to switch accounts before starting a song. When that happens a few times, there will be a divorce and we won't need a family account anymore. So why can't it work like that: X family members means X devices at the same time. Or would that be to simpel? If it stays like that, I will switch to amazon again.

SUGGESTED POSTS