Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium for family with devices everywhere!

Solved!

Premium for family with devices everywhere!

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

US

Device

Google Minis, Android phone and PC

Operating System

See above

My Question or Issue

I have premium for family.  I'm the primary user of Spotify which I use on my phone and at work.  However sometimes while I'm at work my kids start playing music at home on the Minis and Spotify changes songs on me at work.  My Google Minis are tied to my Google account.  Is there a way around this to be able to stream multiple songs under one Google account with a premium family account?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @nyran20.

Thanks for posting your question here in the Community 🙂

In order for your kids to be able to listen to music on your Google Home Minis without interrupting playback for you, they'll have to have their own Spotify accounts as part of the Family plan, and they'll also have to have those linked to separate Google accounts.

To read more about thow to do this, make sure to check out this support article.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here to help in case you need us 😉

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @nyran20.

Thanks for posting your question here in the Community 🙂

In order for your kids to be able to listen to music on your Google Home Minis without interrupting playback for you, they'll have to have their own Spotify accounts as part of the Family plan, and they'll also have to have those linked to separate Google accounts.

To read more about thow to do this, make sure to check out this support article.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here to help in case you need us 😉

Hi there,

This is not a realistic solution. My kids are 4 and 2 and we have a Spotify Family plan and want to be able to play lullabies and stories for the kids on their Google Home Minis and still have the adults be able to listen to music. I absolutely DO NOT want to do voice match or have them control their Google Minis. I also don't want to set up a Spotify acocunt for a 2 year old. There should be an option to have up to 5 devices playing simaltaneously regardless of how you have the acocunts linked. That would resolve everyone's issue on the numberous threads.

Is there a way to do this with Spotfiy? If not, Apple Music counts devices and not users: https://www.imore.com/want-listen-apple-music-multiple-devices-once-get-family-plan

Thanks.

Hey @Jclay82.

Thanks for getting back to us and for clarifying that for us 🙂

Out of interest, what are your kids doing at home which is interfering with your account when you're listening at work? Do they have access to your Spotify account from home, or do they use voice commands on the Google Home device?

If you've connected to your Google Home via Connect, you can always remove the Google Home device from your list of Connect devices when you're at work. This will ensure that your kids can't interfere with your account when you're away, and when you get back home you can always relink via Connect.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 😉

Hey Peter,

I think you misunderstood my challenge. Having a family plan, I want to be able to listen to three devices (1 in each kid’s room and one in the living room) at the same time WITHOUT having accounts for the kids. I turn on each one with my voice as I tuck them in because a 2 year old can’t control Google Mini. Then I go to the living room to turn on my music and it stops the lullabies in the kids room.

So the voice match and separate accounts do not accommodate families with young children who do not want to give their kids access to controlling the Google Mini and Spotify accounts. Or who are too young to do so.

Am I missing something or is this a big product miss?

Thanks,

Josh

Hey @Jclay82,

Thanks for getting back to us and for clarifying that 🙂

You can have three separate devices, however you also need to have three separate Spotify accounts linked to each one. They don't have to be your kids' - if you're part of a Family plan, you can have three separate accounts which you access individually through the different Google Home devices. However, the three Spotify accounts would also have to be linked to three individual Google accounts.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know how you get on 🙂

Hi Peter,

Managing three accounts for myself so I can play it for my kids is an incredibly poor user experience and unecessarily complicated. Spotify should consider ALSO capping by simaltaneous devices playing. Meaning, my one account should be able to be played in the living room, kids room, and bedroom - three devices active at one time (on the same account) and well within the family plan limits. Cap it at 5 simaltaneous devices (whether they are differentfamily accounts or the same) so people don't abuse the system. This would alleviate the pain many people are feeling who have young kids.

Hey @Jclay82,

Thanks for getting back to us, and thanks for your feedback.

If you feel that this is a feature that would benefit many other users, we suggest you create an idea for it in the Idea Exchange here so that other users can also vote for it. If the idea gets enough votes, then Spotify will consider implementing it.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else 😉

Suggested posts