Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove Family Mix

Remove Family Mix

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

PC, IPhone

Operating System

IOS, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify

I like the fact that you try out things, like it a lot even. Sometimes ideas aren't great, though, and then it would be really great to be able to disable them. Your new Family Mix is one such case - I honestly don't think you understand your users that well, if you think teenagers want to share music (or anything really) with their parents.

Google tells me that I'm able to opt out (https://support.spotify.com/ie/account_payment_help/premium_for_family/family-mix/) but I, and my family, want to REALLY opt out - make it go away and have less clutter on my screen.

Can you pls. make this toggle somewhere (and based on your usage data consider making it default OFF)?

Thanks,

Jesper

19 Replies

Yeah. This is utterly **bleep**ing annoying. When you are the top of the tree of the membership but you can’t control anything. Useless. 

Please tell me it is possible to diable the family mix !! I'll be cancelling my subscription if it's not !!!!

Couldn't agree more. I don't mind new features but nothing worse than them being forced upon you.

An option for the main user to turn it off is all this is needed!

I agree. I hate that there is no choice as to whether we have this or not. 

Please spotify give us the option to delete. I feel it’s an invasion of all family members privacy.

Definitely a bad idea.

I wonder what kind of family have Spotify's business managers.

I disagree. 

Surely a toggle to "hard opt-out" or whatever OP suggested is a good thing if it pleases customers like these, but the family mix is awesome in my opinion. 

My family list is made up of my adult family including some in-laws (one teenager). We all share the family account so, out of our family, we are the prime music listeners. We have already enjoyed the new feature and the conversation it brings about. 

Honestly (and i'll go make a new suggestion), these lists should just be a feature you can spin up with any particular group of friends you choose. That would be AMAZING. I have several friends who I would LOVE to share a list like this with.

I appreciate fully that you enjoy this feature, and that you and your family have benefited from it.

But going back to the root of my comments and others like it; this should not be forced upon every Family user. Those on standard Premium accounts aren’t subjected to having their music tastes and patterns shared with up to five different people.

Under Article 8 of the ECHR, each person is given the right to a private life. This feature potentially breaches such an article when without consent it is sharing information about me to others, regardless of our familial relationship.

Anytime you put a feature like this in, it would be nice if there was a preference to disable it. Did anyone even consider that?

Agreed, there should be an opt out button, or if not, let an individual user opt out, because although we may still have similar songs, I don’t want my music mixed in to stuff up the vibe, if that makes sense.

Just the option to disable it would be great for me. I don't like that my musical tastes are shared among those I live with.

What if I don’t want Family Mix?

Note: This setting is only available on mobile devices, but applies across all devices.

To opt out, tap  (Android) /  (iPhone) on your Family Mix, then Leave Family Mix. This removes songs generated by your listening habits from the mix. Songs generated by the other plan member’s listening habits will remain.

After opting out, you’ll still be able to see and play Family Mix. You can rejoin any time by tapping Join Family Mix

Honestly, I don’t agree at all. I love to know what my teenager daighters listen to (and vice versa). I think it’s a great idea: when everybody’s at home, you put on family mix and everybody hears misic he or she likes. I definitely want to keep this 😊

I'll have a hard time migrating all my playlists but I'll sure drop the premium and spotify altogheter if this is the course that the platform is taking.
Stop forcing this "social" interaction with your users. Most people just want to open the app and listen to music. That's what the app is for, any extra content as most people in this thread are saying shoul be opt-in, not forced upon every user.

This is great for couples...

Maybe not remove but allowed to be disabled. Remember that not every situation reflects yours. 

Well, it’s great for you and your partner. Asserting that it’s great for couples as a matter of fact assumes that every relationship is like yours. Somewhat ironically, I may add.

Hi everybody,

It should be possible for you to opt out. 

Note: This setting is only available on mobile devices, but applies across all devices.

To opt out, tap  (Android) /  (iPhone) on your Family Mix, then Leave Family Mix. This removes songs generated by your listening habits from the mix. Songs generated by the other plan member’s listening habits will remain.

After opting out, you’ll still be able to see and play Family Mix. You can rejoin any time by tapping Join Family Mix

There's an option to manage users as well. 

This family mix is the worst.
Good thing that it was disabled by default (at least for me). I don't want people to know what I listen (yes I know, family in this case) and if I want I just tell them, It's a good conversation topic. Stop trying to turn everything into a social network of some sort. I just want to listen to music. Maybe It would be nice to make the Discovery Weekly algorithm better... that would be nice

That's great that I, as a user and admin, can "leave" the family mix, but what if as an admin I want it disabled for my family? That's what we're asking for; not the option to leave the mix, but to have the option to turn off the mix altogether if we wish. Is our consent to have something active on our account that we pay lots of money for too much to ask for?

Hi @AfroRicanLibra

The owner of the Premium Family will always be able to see the playlist. It can't be disabled.

If a member leaves the Family plan or opt-out of the Family Mix, they won't be a part of the playlist. However, the plan manager is not able to turn off the Family Mix for other members. Every member has their own account and they have to decide whether they want to be a part of that playlist or not. 

Their music doesn’t appear in Family Mix until they join. If they leave, their songs are removed.

If you're interested in that function, you're always welcome to submit your idea in the Idea Exchange part of the Community. 

For more details on that, make sure to check out this series of articles

Have a great day! 

Suggested posts