Family/Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone and Android

Operating System

n/a

My Question or Issue

I have jut installed Spotify kids on my child's iOS device, having used the normal spotify app for each family member for some time. However, when I then try to log in with their ID the app says that the administrator must log in first, When I do that, it prompts me to create a new kids account. I don't want to create a new account (, I simply want to log in with the existing one, so she can avail of the music library she has already built. How can I achieve this? thanks

6 Replies

Hey @kilbehenny ,

Thanks for reaching out 🙂

Setting up a Kids account won't switch an already existing Spotify free/Premium account to a Kids one.

Instead, Spotify Kids allows you to use a slot on your Premium Family plan to create a profile that your child can use to access curated content within the Spotify Kids app. 

If your child already has a regular Spotify free/Premium account, it won't be possible to make that account a Kids one.

However, you can always start with a new Kids profile and like again any content your child had previously saved on their regular Spotify account.

Hope this helps!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I would have expected a solution for this as well. It's really really not possible to do what you suggested manually. We would need it a lot of hours searching, manually typing etc

Hey there folks!

Thanks for the questions, we'll gladly shine some more light on the matter.

Right now our Kids app created for users under 13 years old that usually would not be able to create a regular Spotify account because of the age restrictions we have in place. This is why a direct transfer between accounts is not possible.

As @Maxim mentioned, the best way to get started is for your child to look through the catalog of music we offer in the Kids app and add all the songs they enjoy to ''Your favorites''.

We hope this info helps. We're always here if you have further questions!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That is unrealistic--and I'm guessing you know it.

Spotify has dragged its feet for years and is one of the last platforms to offering meaningful family features. I appreciate the improvement, but it has to be practical. There needs to be a path to convert an existing family member to the kids app.

(One other thing about the kids app: It would be great if it didn't push particular artists at kids. Let parents pre-populate the app with specific artists and genres rather than assuming sugar pop is the first thing kids want. Some families are trying to wean kids off of junk food.)

Then, do you have a way to change a kids account to a regular account?

That would make sense as the kids get older and want to move to a usual account once they reach 13y.o..

Hey there @Mukei!

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Users are currently not able to upgrade Kids’ accounts into standard Spotify accounts. They’ll need to create a new account and add it to the Premium Family plan.

As the Kids app doesn’t have personalization, the user would only lose their 💛'd tracks. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on this and we can see how that can be a handy feature. We recommend suggesting it on our Ideas board so that it could get support from other users as well. Take a look at this page to see how to post an Idea.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts