Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos + iPhone at the same time?

Solved!

Sonos + iPhone at the same time?

Plan- Family

Free/Premium- Premium

Country- USA

Device- iPhone X/10

Hi there and I hope I'm posting this in the correct place! Does anyone know if I can listen to the Spotify app on the iPhone while someone else is listening to Sonos? We have a 'Family Acct' which offers 5 *seperate* Spotify accounts yet when I try to listen to Spotify in the car (& someone else is listening at the same time to Sonos at home), Spotify only allows access to 1 account at a time?  Thanks much, Mitch

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @mitchellarno,

If you configured sonos with your account and you start listening in your car with your account and your wife will listen to the sonos, then it will fail because your wife is listening to the sonos with your account so she should switch.

I never use it this way and I think it's too complicated. Why do you think spotify connect is a work around? If you use it like that you only have to use the spotify app and you can choose easily to which speaker it should connect.

The only advantage of using the sonos app is that when you use multiple services and you listen to music via your network drive for example. Then you could argue that all your music can be controlled at one place. But if you only use spotify I recommend to use the spotify app. 

You can also do this per user. For example if you are the only one who uses the sonos then you can use the sonos app and the spotify app and the rest of the family uses spotify connect.

Regards,

René

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hi @mitchellarno, thanks for writing!

That's an easy one. The members in the plan must double check they're logging in their own accounts.

Please send the link bellow to all of them and see if every one's seeing their profiles.

https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

Let me know how it goes!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

*Thanks so much for the reply! For some reason, I didnt get pinged on thre response so am just seeing it now. I did check w/other family members and that r logged into THEIR Spotify accounts. Any ideas or thoughts as to why Spotify doesnt work w/Sonos when more than 1 person is listening?

Thanks very much! I checked and other family members are signed into their own accounts...

Hi @mitchellarno,

Just to be clear, it's not solved, is it?

By the way, there are different ways to listen to sonos. You can use the sonos app or the spotify app. When you are not using the spotify app, a spotify account should be configured for sonos so sonos is able to stream spotify content. How are you listening to the sonos?

Regards,

René

Thx! This issue is not solved yet.
>How are you listening to the sonos?
Sonos is set up to stream Spotify content. To be clear, I listen to Spotify through Sonos when at home. When in the car or out of the house, I listen to Spotify through Spotify app.

Thanks again! Mitch

Hi @mitchellarno,

Listening via the sonos app can be a bit problematic with a family account. Here's the reason why. When you setup the sonos device to stream spotify content you have to enter an account. When somebody else in your family is listening to the sonos, it will use that account. When you are listening to spotify in your car with the same account, one of them will stop. This applies to regular premium also of course but when you have family you might think this should be possible.

I have a sonos also and I never use the sonos app but I use the spotify app and then use spotify connect to stream to the sonos. All my family members do the same. This way the family member decides which account is used where.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

René

Thanks so much! I also appreciate the pointer to Spotify Connect.

When I set up Sonos with the various streaming services, I attached 2 Spotify accounts to Sonos app. I just re-checked and Sonos app and see my account & my wifes both tied to Sonos for Spotify. I did the same for Amazon. My thinking at the time was that this would avoid the issue I'm now having! 

Spotify Connect seems to be a work-around but am confused as to why the process I used didnt work. Unless, Spotify and Sonos just dont play well together. 

Hi @mitchellarno,

I also use sonos and connected one account. When I try to add another spotify account I got an error because I already added an account. Were you able to setup two accounts?

Regards,

René

Hi @rene, I was able to set up 2 accounts. I’ll send a screenshot in a bit when I’m in front of s larger screen.

Thanks!

Hi,

I also now managed to do this. If you or your wife play music with the sonos app, how does sonos know if it's you or your wife? So how do you switch accounts?

Regards,

René

Once my wife logs into her Spotify account, Sonos *should* recognize her next time she listens through Spotify. I am also re-checking this and will come back one I confirm.

Hi,

I checked this and you can switch accounts using sonos app, setting -> services and then you see all spotify accounts. Next choose the account you want to use and select: use on this device. This option is only available if this account isn't already active for your device.

You will notice the difference when you go to your music. When I switch accounts, the content of your music is changed.

Regards,

René

Right. And, now are back to my original question. I’ll have to check it out when I’m back home on the network and I’ll let you know then thanks again!

@rene Hi & another question- have u been able to test different Spotify accounts when someone is listening thru Sonos and someone else is listening thru Spotify app? This is really the issue for me And what prompted my original question thanks!

Yes sure, I mean if I connect the account of my wife to sonos, then of course I can listen via the spotify app. Every family account is a full premium account. 

Of course, when my wife is in her car, listening spotify via the app, and I start listen to the sonos and search one of my favorite albums. The music of my wife in het car stops because her account is configured in sonos. I should switch users via the sonos app and then I can start listening and my wife can listen in the car.

Regards,

René

So I have set Spotify on the Sonos app to my music but havent been able to test while in the car with my wife listening at home. I'll do that & come back. Txs again-

Marked as solution

Hi @mitchellarno,

If you configured sonos with your account and you start listening in your car with your account and your wife will listen to the sonos, then it will fail because your wife is listening to the sonos with your account so she should switch.

I never use it this way and I think it's too complicated. Why do you think spotify connect is a work around? If you use it like that you only have to use the spotify app and you can choose easily to which speaker it should connect.

The only advantage of using the sonos app is that when you use multiple services and you listen to music via your network drive for example. Then you could argue that all your music can be controlled at one place. But if you only use spotify I recommend to use the spotify app. 

You can also do this per user. For example if you are the only one who uses the sonos then you can use the sonos app and the spotify app and the rest of the family uses spotify connect.

Regards,

René

Thanks so much for the replies here and sorry it took me so long to come back! In the end, this WAS user error. I spent time w/Sonos customer support to resolve. My wife Spotify account kept changing back to default Sonos account which is mine. Alexa and the others certainly didnt help the situation! Anyways, thanks again for taking time to respond and help me out!

Suggested posts