Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suspicious email from Spotify about Spotify Family

Suspicious email from Spotify about Spotify Family

I have just received an email from Spotify (screenshot attached) that I'm sure is genuine, but looks like a phishing attack:

• There is no mention of my name, username or anything like that in the email. The only thing that makes the email specific to me is my email address, placed at the bottom of the email (I have blanked it out in the screenshot)
  • Some of the wording such as "Add your address, please" sounds rude and unusual
  • The "ADD ADDRESS" button is an HTTP link to the Spotify website, rather than an HTTPS link
  • The email suggests that I look at the support site for help. The link provided (https://support.spotify.com/us/article/premium-for-family/) doesn't mention anything to do with this email. It only talks about new family accounts, not existing ones
  • The links at the very bottom of the email appear to have been incorrectly rendered "[[tos-url]]" and "[[tech-url]]"

I have signed into my account (without following the links) and can see that I do need to provide an address (which is no problem), but for a company like Spotify, I expect a better approach to security than this shoddy email.

Suspicious email.PNG
4 Replies

I've had this email too.

I am worried as I did follow the link...

What should I do??

I just need to add that there was nowhere for me to add my address...

@imrandjk wrote:

I've had this email too.

I am worried as I did follow the link...

What should I do??

I am pretty sure that the email was in fact genuine. I wouldn't be too worried at this stage - but it would be nice if Spotify could confirm that the email was genuine.

Thanks

I've just sent them a tweet to their spotifycares handle

Will see what happens.

Suggested posts