Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Trying to join my family's account from home but Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country?..

Trying to join my family's account from home but Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country?..

Plan

Family Premium (trying to join-- for now I'm still on the free account)

Country

France

Device

Huawei Y6 2017 / Asus TP201SA / a variety of other computers (I tried from every computer we had at home...)

Operating System

Android / Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My father started a Family Premium account a few weeks ago and sent us the link to join. I have since then been trying to join it from my existing Spotify account but everytime I try it tells me I'm trying to join from a different country. I can get through the address process and everything, but when I click 'continue' after entering the address it tells me I'm in the wrong country. But I'm not in a different country, I'm in the exact same home where my dad started the account!.. And everyone else in my family was able to join the account easily.

I've tried from every phone and computer I could find, same answer everywhere. I've also tried with private navigation and non private navigation, same answer everywhere. I even checked the default country on my Spotify account and it's France so that shouldn't be a problem... What can I do? At this point my sister is telling me to start a brand new account from scratch but I don't want to lose all my playlists.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

Hi there @GeeSV,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Could you please use a PC or MAC and try out the process on a different browser / incognito web page ?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I have tried from both my phone and PC, as well as several other PCs. I've tried with 2 different browsers, in incognito and not incognito. Same answer no matter what I do, I'm in the "wrong county"...

Here's the window that pops up:

GeeSV_0-1584975188153.png

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance.

Hi @GeeSV

Thanks for bearing with me and sorry for the delay !

As your account is showing the correct country on settings, it might be possible that there's another account causing the issue.

I would advise you to double check with your father to see if his country settings are showing different - you can use the steps here to make any necessary updates.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi, Thank you for your answer. Sadly I'm still stuck...

I checked with my family and it seems the problem may be coming from not my father but my siblings, if that is possible?

Here's the situation: we live in France so our family address is French and my dad's account is set to France; so is mine. But my siblings both had set up their accounts back when we lived in the US and their profiles are therefore set up as USA. (However they were both able to hop onto the family account!.. What I think happened is that Spotify didn't register the problem when they joined the family account but then when I tried to join it got stuck between all the countries...)

My siblings have tried resetting their Spotify settings to France, but they can't without entering a French payment method-- which is weird because they're not the ones paying, our dad is. Therefore they don't want to enter a payment method in case Spotify might charge them on top of the rest... Isn't there a way for Spotify to unlock the country for them without asking them for a credit card?

Or at least could Spotify unlock my account and allow me to join the family account? They can check as much as they want, I'm at home in the same house as my family...

Getting really desperate here! 😞

Thanks in advance.

Suggested posts