Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upgrade to Family Premium

Upgrade to Family Premium

I have the following question because I can't find my answer at the top of the community page.

I am currently a spotify premium user and my billing cycle is on the 3rd of every month. If I upgrade it to spotify Premium for Family today, the 10th, am I going to be charged instantly and be able to add my family member?

If yes, I am effectively lossing my personal premium period (from 11th to the 2nd of next month)? 

If not, when I will be charged? and before I am charged for the premium for family monthly fee, can I add the members?

10 Replies

Hey @chluk2425! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

When you upgrade your subscription from regular Premium to Premium for Family, any remaining time that you've already paid for will be converted into a Premium for Family subscription, so this can bring your next payment date forward. You can review your renewal date on the subscription page.

You'll be charged the full subscription price every month on the same date you signed up.

Be sure to check this Q&A out for more details about it. 

Peace

So make it simple, in my case, I am effectively paying more because on the 3rd, I have paid the subscription fee for a normal premium; then if I subscribe the premium for family now, I will be charged again today. 

Am I correct?

So if I want to be picky, I should actually wait until near the end of my normal subscription cycle if I don't want to lose too many days?  I am just trying to understand how it works.

@chluk2425

You don't lose any days. ^^

Spotify won’t bill you until the time you’ve paid for has run out, taking into account the increased price. You can review your renewal date on the subscription page.

Peace

Right, so I will be billed for the Family Plan Price after my previous Individiaul Premium cycle has ended, am I correct? 

But do I have to wait for my Family Plan Plan to start in order to invite them despite I have already change my plan to Family now? Please take note the situation is like this:

- Individual Premium Cycle on the 3rd of every month

- If I subscribe for the Family Plan now, I will be charged for the Premium for Family until my Individual Cycle ends, a.k.a: 3rd of May (that's what you meant in previous post?)

- Can I invite people to join the family plan in between now and 2nd of May?

I read back what you wrote and I am quite lost now... at one point you said:

"any remaining time that you've already paid for will be converted into a Premium for Family subscription, so this can bring your next payment date forward". I take this as: if I join the family plan now, which is the 11th now in HKT, my next payment date will move forward from the 3rd of every month to 11th of every month (forward as in instead of charging my on the 3rd of May, spotify will charge me on the 11th of APR because I have resubscribe somethingelse before my previous subscription ends)

but then in another reply you said:

"Spotify won’t bill you until the time you’ve paid for has run out, taking into account the increased price." So, when I am actually going to be charged...

Anyone in the community has the same issue before? or should I simply cancle my subscription first and start off from a free to make everything easier. 

bump...

I have the same question, was a coherent answer ever given?

Hi @chluk2425 and @Kingkyguy,

Thanks for your questions! Just jumping in here to clarify about the payment date.

When you have a Premium subscription, you're charged on the same date each month. When you subscribe to Premium Family your subscription date changes because of the price difference between Premium and Premium Family. As soon as you update your payment details, you get Premium Family while you have actually paid for Premium. When the Premium time you have paid for runs out (sooner because of Premium Family), your payment date is changed as well. 

We hope this sheds light on the subject! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi I have a similar question,

Today(17th May) I was charged for premium account(Suppose amount X was deducted), but I want to upgrade to family plan which is amount Y. So my question is,

1. Do I have to pay Spotify the X+Y amount, or the remaining Y-X amount.

2. In case it is X+Y, will the billing cycle would change? if yes, how the billing cycle would be calculated?

Hi @gusainhimanshu,

Welcome to the Community! We're happy to shed some light on the situation 🙂

If you signed up for Premium Individual and now wish to switch to Premium Family instead, you can just upgrade your subscription and your remaining time on the deal will be automatically converted to Family Premium.

You won't be charged again immediately, but your payment date will be brought forward due to the price difference between the two plans. You can keep track of your billing date on your account page here.

For more info on Premium Family and how the billing works, we recommend you check out this support article.

Hope you'll find this useful. Give us a shout in case you have any other questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts