Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Use Premium Gift Card for Family Plan?

Solved!

Use Premium Gift Card for Family Plan?

Plan

Premium Gift Card

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 😎

Operating System

(iOS 10)

My Question or Issue

My wife bought a six month Spotify Premium Gift card for the kids to open at Christmas.  I've opened an account, but I don't see the "invite family" button on the left in the account screen.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @test414,

Thanks for reaching out! 

If you want to use the gift card you've got with Premium Family, there's one thing you can do: 

1. Cancel your subscription and wait until your account reverts back to free.
  2. Redeem the gift card.
  3. Change your subscription to Premium Family.
  4. Invite all of your family members again.

Note: Bear in mind that after redeeming the gift card for Premium and switching to Premium Family, the subscription will end earlier because of the difference of the price between Premium and Premium Family. So, after updating the payment details, you'll be charged earlier.

Keep us posted!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey @AdrianD1  Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Sorry, but the gift cards cannot be used to get the family plan. The gift cards are only used for single Spotify Premium account.

This is stated in the Family Plan Support Page that you can't use the Spotify Gift Card to get the Family Plan. Go to this Family Plan Support Page if you have any more questions.

Happy Holidays!

Keanu_C

Keanu_CSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

Hey there @test414,

Thanks for reaching out! 

If you want to use the gift card you've got with Premium Family, there's one thing you can do: 

2. Redeem the gift card.

Note: Bear in mind that after redeeming the gift card for Premium and switching to Premium Family, the subscription will end earlier because of the difference of the price between Premium and Premium Family. So, after updating the payment details, you'll be charged earlier.

Keep us posted!

PetyaModerator

@Petya wrote:

Hey there @test414,

Thanks for reaching out! 

2. Redeem the gift card.

Keep us posted!

Just to clarify. If we start the premium subscription for $9.99 and then change it to the Family Plan, will be be charged an EXTRA $14.99 immediately upon switching the plan from Premium to Family? So the TOTAL amount will be $9.99 + $14.99 = $24.98 (This is the Canadian Pricing).

If so, it would be better to wait until the Premium plan is almost at it’s 30 day renewal time and then switch the the Family Plan? Can you please clarify that this is the case?

Appreciated.

So I just went ahead and redeemed my gift card and it worked. Here’s what to do:

1. Make sure you are on the free tier
2. Redeem the gift card
3. Once the redemption is complete, you are on the Premium tier ($9.99)
4. IMMEDIATELY upgrade to the Family Plan ($14.99). To double check that everything worked, go to your account profile and see when your non gift card payment will be taken next (ie from Paypal or Credit Card), it should be months from the date you changed from Premium to Family, this means that the payment will come from the gift card until that date.
5. Your gift card will start paying for the $14.99 Family Plan
6. GOOD TO GO!!

I hope this makes everything clear.
Cheers!!

STAY SAFE, STAY HOME, AND PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING TO HELP DEFEAT COVID-19!!!

Sounds like a lot of extra work, c'mon Spotify, seriously can't just offer a gift card for a solid amount to be credited to ANY Spotify account. ??? 

Hey there @Smilinginside5,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

It looks like other people feel the same way. It's well worth giving this idea a vote to show your support 🙂

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope this info is useful. Give us a shout if you have any other questions!

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi! I was curious as to whether this same workaround works for student accounts not just family plans? Thanks!

Hey there @dg39

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

Keep in mind the student discount is based on a percentage of the regular price while gift cards give you Premium features for a certain period of time. That's why it'd be impossible to use the workaround for Premium Family to apply a gift card to your student discount. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.  

I can confirm, it does work in 2021.

Suggested posts