Country

USA

Device

iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 14.3

spotify version- 8.5.93.464

My Question or Issue

My wife's spotify app is playing songs she did not select, and when she changes the song to what she wants, it changes to something she did not pick. How do I solve this?

This just started a couple of days ago.

She was listening to music of her choosing, and without warning, it cut out, and a new, completely different artist, song, she had never listened to before started playing.

As we were out for a drive, we blew it off, and figured it was just a fluke, and started listening to my phone's spotify.

Yesterday afternoon it started happening again. As we were home, it allowed me to investigate further.

Here's where it got really weird. there were over 150 songs from artists neither of us had ever heard of before were stored in her recent play list. I tried doing a quick search on the app's q/a, but found nothing to help, or explain what was taking place. We contacted the phone's service provider, and the only thing they could recommend was to change the password.

So.... we changed the password, and then set about to remove all the recently added songs, blocking artists, etc.... As that took over an hour, it gave me and my wife time to consider the various possibilities.

A while back my wife had given a relative's 14 yr old daughter the old Iphone6+ which had spotify on it (with explicit instructions to both mother and daughter--- wipe the phone, and start over again from scratch), and we figured that she did not wipe the phone as instructed, finally found the app, and started collecting her favorites, using my wife's account.

While the mother agrees that this is a possibility, she'd said the battery was dead, and they had no way to charge it.

So... today, this afternoon.....

About 20 minutes ago, this happened again.

My wife selected music she wanted to listen to, and another song, from an unknown artist popped up, and started playing. Once she told me, I asked her to let me look at it, and did my own "test."

I selected a song, from the existing album--- an artist we both listen to-- and after about 10-20 seconds, it changed to some completely unrelated artist, neither of us had heard of before. So, I stopped that. I picked another song by the artist we'd normally listen to, and after a few seconds, it happened again. I repeated this several times, and new, entirely off-genre artists' songs would start playing.

This went back and forth--- mostly so I could get a sense of what was taking place, and could be taking place.

I eventually came here, and after a search, found nothing that could enlighten me on what was actually happening.

In looking at the device list, the only thing it shows is "This IPhone." IT does not say whether "This IPhone" is the 11, or the old 6+. A couple of times it asked me if I wanted to continue playing on "This Iphone", but when I said yes, it wasn't playing on my wife's iPhone. It was playing..... but somewhere else. An unknown somewhere else.... but somewhere else.

Help!

What in the world is going on here?

How do we prevent this unauthorized access from continuing to happen?

TYIA.

SteveBMe.

3 Replies

Hey there @SteveBMe,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We're sorry to hear this.

In this case we suggest that you follow all of the steps that's provided in this article.

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different than a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy.
Thank you.
As noted, I did change the password.
I haven't done a fresh install, because it's irritating to have to deal with this--- My wife is the IPhone user. I'm an android user, so there's enough differences that even though I'm the household IT guru, I don't like IPhone.
Which is hilarious, because I have a really old iPad 2 (iOS 9).

That said, after I posted yesterday, I noticed a second IPhone show up in the list.
I had tried clicking on the "This IPhone" previously, to see if it'd allow me to do anything, but there was no allowed options for that. The second "User'sNameIPhone" showed up, and after a few times (realizing that there's a second device, with a different name, and not understanding why), I clicked on it, and the option to remove that phone was allowed. So, I deleted (forget device) it. That lasted for about 30-45 minutes, and then it came back. I removed it again, and after that I took a walk, so I asked my wife later if it reappeared, and she said no.

So, I'm going to leave this open, and see what happens today, and tomorrow. We instructed the relative that we want the phone back. So, this may become a done deal by tomorrow.

Hi again @SteveBMe

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In case your wife is still experiencing this issue after checking the phone you mentioned, we'd recommend following all the steps in this article.

If this doesn't do the trick, you can ask her to reach out to our Support team here. They'll be happy to assist further and check if everything is in order with her account.

We'll be here if anything else comes up. 

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts