Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot subscribe to a student membership as an us student with a Japanese credit card

Cannot subscribe to a student membership as an us student with a Japanese credit card

I first tried to get a premium memberhip with an us account but my credit card was issued in Japan so was switched to a Japanese membership page. After I type in my credit card information, there is a section that I have to select a country of my school but I cannot find the US option. Now I cannot verify that I am a student. My school is on the list of schools for US student membership though. I just cannot select US as a location of my school on the Japanese subsctiption page. What can I do?

3 Replies

Hey @malijn,

If you’re enrolled with an institution that’s eligible with Spotify's student discount, you can take advantage even if you’re abroad. 

However, your account’s country settings need to match the country of your university, and your payment method needs to have also been issued in this same country. For help with this, check out our guide to country settings.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for your reply @Maxim

My account's country settings and the country of my university are matched, which is US, but I do not have a payment method that matches them. Is it the only way to solve this issue to make a credit or debit card in US? Because that would require a lot time and work just to upgrade my favourite music app... Plus, I am not sure if an international grad school student who is not employed off-campus is eligible to make one. 

If you don't have a US payment method, then you, unfortunately, won't be able to claim the Student DIscount.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts