Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Creating New Account/Losing Student Discount?

Creating New Account/Losing Student Discount?

My Question or Issue

I am a student and have Spotify Premium. I want to change my username and apparently the only way they'll let you is if you create a new account. I read somewhere on their website if you create a new account the student discount won't apply to the new one until 12 months after you originally signed up for it. I have had mine for 12 months but forgot to renew it, so for a month it switched to the $9.99 price and I just got the student one again. Do I still have to wait 12 months to open a new account or can I change it over now?

3 Replies

Hey there @krisisongbird,

thanks for posting !

It isn't possible to change a username once created.

The only way, as you read, is to open a new account which will make you loose your eligability for the trial offer.

Let me know if you have any further questions 😃

Hey!

So I recently signed up for Spotify for Students because I always knew there was a student plan, but I never bothered to look for it. However, that changed about a month ago when it finally peeked my interest. I knew I was getting ripped off. 

Anyways, to answer your question, what I did was cancel my Premium and then register for it again using Spotify for Students. It never asked me for another credit card or anything. 

Can please somebody answer this correctly?

The emphasis is not on changing the username. It is clearly on the circumstances surrounding the student discount.

So I will try again, for all of us, having this issue for similar reasons.

My account has been created via Facebook-Login. I want to get rid of this connection. I was not able to, due to the students discount's restrictions.

Now that the discount expired and I missed cancelling, I was charged the regular price. I thought Spotify would be more customerfriendly and reduce the already paid monthly, because of my eligibility for it. Dumbfounded, I had to find Spotify simply moved the change date of the subscription to next month, effectively reducing my student discount by a month, as of now. This was not my intention.

Anyhow, now to the question at hand.

I want to change my account in order to have a proper Spotify-account, unconnected to unreliable and obsolete Facebook. Since my student discount has been registered but is not active yet, can I please quit my account, open a clean account AND claim my student's discount on that account???

Suggested posts