Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discount for Peace Corps Volunteers

Discount for Peace Corps Volunteers

This October, I will begin service as a Peace Corps volunteer. I am so excited to begin this new chapter of my lifeand (hopefully) make a positive difference in the lives of those I live with. As I look ahead to the next 27 months, I realized that on a $200/month living stipend in my country of service, I will not be able to pay full price for a Preimium account and that a free account, which requires more reliable electricity and internet than is expected in my community, will not be useful. This leaves me music-less. I think that Spotify should offer a discounted price to verified Peace Corps volunteers.

For one thing, PC volunteers are in either a similar or worse financial position than college students based on our low living stipend, which goes a long way in our country of service but its laughably small by American standards. No one expects to save money when joining the Peace Corps, but taking about $120 out of the $2,400 I am expected to live and travel on for a year is not a sound financial decision.

As those who are current volunteers can atest and I can imagine as I think of my upcoming service, having music available is a critical way that many volunteers unwind after a particularly challenging day. I think everyone can relate to needing some alone time with that perfect playlist. This need is only more critcial while in country, but far less available due to low relaibility of electricity and internet in many countries where Peace Corps serves.

Finally, music is a great way to bring people together and to share cultures. I will get to hear and learn so much from my host family and new friends, and I would love to be able to share some of my favorite songs and artists with them in turn! What better way to express the beauty and diversity of American culture?

Spotify bills itself as "music for everyone." I think providing a discount for Peace Corps volunteers would be a wonderful way for Spotify to live out that motto and take an active role in increasing intercultural understanding, something this world desperately needs more of.

2 Replies

Hi @jer5pw!

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, whilst at the moment Spotify doesn't offer this kind of discount I will have this passed over to the right folks for consideration in the future.

If you need anything else or have any questions, just let me know!

Take Care

I am a second year Peace Corps volunteer in a country where I can't get a free version of Spotify and agree that this would be a very helpful discount. I have thought about canceling my subscription many times, or switching to another streaming provider because the $9.99+tax/month subscription is a large portion of my yearly expenditure. I make a little under $300/month on my stiepend and this subsription is really dragging on that; and on any savings I had prior to my service.

That said, I have not canceled my Premium subscription because I have had Spotify since 2014 and cannot bear to get rid of it. Music has been a huge part of my life and it's difficult for me to let go of the platform, Spotify, where all my music has resided for the past four years--and counting. Now that I am living thousands of miles away from my home culture, music has taken on an even bigger role in my life. When I am missing home, having  a bad day, or simply want to introduce my host community to my culture via music Spotify has been there for me. 

Given this, do you think it might be possible for Spotify to grant a subscription discount similar to that of a Student or Military discount? Not only would it help me and the previous respondant, but also thousands of other Peace Corps Volunteers across the globe.

Thank you!

Suggested posts