Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Overcharged for Student?

Overcharged for Student?

So Spotify has honestly been not very helpful (ie: getting rid of human support (phone support and live chat) by framing it as benefiting customers? 

But for my situation, I was using Spotify students for 12 months and then it charged me the regular CAD$9.99 which I understood would happen, however when I at the time spoke to a representative they reversed the charge and helped me re-process my student status which is why I thought that everything would be alright. The spotify staff even said that moving forward I would only be charged 4.99, and did NOT highlight any further action I needed to take in order to get the discount.

For some reason I just checked, and I had 5 months of being overcharged at CAD$9.99 AFTER I had gone through the student registration process with a Spotify representative. 

When I reached out to them over their Twitter account, I told them I would like these charges reversed (aka being a student who registered with a Spotify representative who wants to pay student fees, shocker) but the answer I got back was:

"Looking backstage, we're seeing where you applied the student discount to your account but didn't subscribe to it. That's why you were being charged at the regular Premium rate. We can now confirm that you've successfully subscribed at the student rate and will not be charged the regular rate going forward." 

What the? I did the full student registration process over live chat with a Spotify representative, how could I have not registered properly to get the student discount? Why isn't "applying a student discount" not sufficient to get a student discount? I had never even heard of "subscribing" before (again remember I did this with a staff member)?

I am currently speaking with the representative through Twitter (fruitless), and want to know how I can escalate this or pursue this further. 

3 Replies

Hey there @gavingao11,

thanks for posting !

It's only possible to apply for the Student Discount through Spotify's website so any other service support should be carried by the one providing it.

You can get a refund for the most recent payment read more about this here.

If you wish to apply for the Student Discount through the correct Spotify service you can do so here.

Hope this helps 😃

Hello, 

I have been overcharged too for the student premium but cannot find any way to contact spotify customer support 😕

Hey @boiseral.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Make sure to follow the link which @OneByBoo provided, and scroll down to the headings which read Overcharged for the student discount and Don't want Premium after all?. You'll find instructions there on how to proceed.

Hope that helps 🙂

Suggested posts