Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student discount payment method 'The Netherlands'

Student discount payment method 'The Netherlands'

I've got a question regarding the payment system of Spotify for the student discount when using it. Today spotify gave several countries including mine acces to the student discount system. As a student, this was one of the few things I was looking forward to. The problem is that the new subscription only accepts creditcards. I find it very peculiar, because you could always pay with PayPal or Ideal, but not for this student subscription. So my question is: will other pay methods become available in the future, and if so when? 

6 Replies

I have got the same problem. I cannot pay with Ideal, but since almost no student here uses a credit card (or PayPal), students are still not eligible for the student discount. The whole point of the student discount is to reach students, right?

Hey @dubbeld @TimdenHoedt

Spotify will show all of the available payment methods when it asks for a payment:

https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/subscription_information/payment-methods/

Payment methods vary by country and some payment methods might not be available with all subscription types (family, student, etc).

Since the student discount just launched in more countries, it could be that credit card is the only option right now for those countries and could expand to more options in the future.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same problem, why do they not accept no paypal or ideal? Because I really want this discount. Will ideal and paypal be available in a short time? Please spotify let us know..

I created an idea to adress this issue: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Subscription-Student-Discount-iDeal-Payment-for-the-Neth...

Please upvote to let Spotify now that we want iDEAL as a payment option. 🙂  

Same problem, I have a premium account and pay by automatic bank transfer. If I want the student discount I've to switch to creditcard?!!

It could be?! It's absolutely nonses! With all the other Premium (family etc.) it's all posible, but not for students... I am sorry but that is really weird!! My question: Why?

Suggested posts