Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

You have already redeemed this offer

You have already redeemed this offer

Plan

Free

Country

Netherlands

Device

Xiaomi mi9

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

3-4 Months ago I decided to start my student premium plan, I got the 3 months free for a first time user. Shortly after that I saw that my profile had changed its username to some random letters and numbers. I wrote back to spotify to fix this and they helped me make a new account with the same email and account info, but with a username this time. After those 3 months I try to repurchase my student monthly subscription and i get the error message " You have already redeemed this offer ". I contacted spotify employee again via email and he told me that the student sub was already confirmed on my old account (with the random letters as a username), which was supposed to be deactivated and I cannot do ANYTHING besides wait for the student discount to expire, since they cant renew it. This is the second week that I have been trying to get some support from the Spotify Customer Support without any luck. Please I would be grateful If I could have some assistance.

3 Replies

Hi @ValentinRL

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Please, keep in mind that you can only have one Premium Student account at a time. The discount lasts for 1 year, even if you cancel the subscription or close the account.

If you want to apply your student discount to your new account, you need to wait until 12 months have passed since you first signed up for it on your first account.

For more details on Premium Student offer, check this support article

I hope it helps!

There is no new account, this is the same account, the one Spotify replaced for me. As you can see I have the chat and everything as proof. Spotify totally misinformed or lied to me otherwise!

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

Screenshot_2020-01-11-02-23-28-501_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Hi @ValentinRL

When you requested in the chat to have your display name changed, someone form the support team created a brand new account for you with preferred name and transferred your music. The new account can have the same email as the old one, but that doesn't mean it's the same account. 

Note that it's mentioned in the transcript that a new Spotify account will be created in order to do that. 

In this case, you'll have to wait until the 12 months pass from the time you applied the discount on your original account.

If you're not sure when that is, you can search the email inbox that was associated with your old account for any confirmation emails from Spotify to see the date you originally applied the Student discount on your account. 

It's possible for you now to subscribe to Premium Individual

As an alternative, you can try reaching out to SheerID to check if it's possible to re-verify your student credentials. If that works, you should be able to resubscribe to Premium Student and it won't be necessary to wait until the 12 months mark passes. 

If you have any follow-up questions for the support teams, feel free reach back to them. I'm sure they'll be able to further clear things up for you. 

Hope it helps!

Suggested posts