Call to all Open Source hackers: Let's make an open LITE spotify client

1 person liked this

Call to all Open Source hackers: Let's make an open LITE spotify client

krikelin
Community Legend

Hi

I'm planning to develop an open source Spotify client for Windows in .NET. I'm working on restaurating the old good design and experience of Spotify it was back in 2009, and see this would be appriciated by many who are tired of apps, but also for those who want an true open spotify client to hack on.

However it's a lot of work involved, while .NET makes the GUI interface smoother, the libspotify integration is a bit more compicated. My plan is to create open source client with a Mockspotify (Spotify mockup) so far, and other developer who is intrested can help me to make the integration with LibSpotify. 

The restauration of the old sleek Windows client  design (CLI tech stuff ) from 2009 and some of it's technology my project I call 'Tesla inteface', and plan to also re-use it for other projects. 

If you're intrested, PM me here on the community.

I believe the old good Spotify experience is stuck somewhere in a parallel universe where decisions where different, another 'fork' of this universe (like GitHub branches/forks), and I want to pull it into our universe by re-creating it together.

9 Replies

Re: Call to all Open Source hackers: Let's make an open LITE spotify client

user-removed
Not applicable

FULL support to this. Hope you get rght coders so we can enjoy simple Spotify :)

krikelin
Community Legend

Peter__
Community Legend
Is this going to use libspotify to access the service?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

krikelin
Community Legend

Yes!

I began building the viewstack today, and restaurating the old client look from 2009 (or 2010, at your preference). Skinning should be possible soon.

I try to spend my last time as unemployed by building on this client, then it will go slow to build it. The logo of the project is taken from the aqua jog belt I use, because I need qi from that worokuts to get things done correctly. (Energy).

krikelin
Community Legend

Now I work with Mashcast.FM so the development might be inactive now

http://mashcast.fm

Joe
Community Legend

Congratulations on your new job :)

krikelin
Community Legend

:-)

I'ts my hobby project, so I don't make any money. I put extra effort on it right now because I soon have a paid occupation...

user-removed
Not applicable

Seriously we need Simple Spotify!

krikelin
Community Legend

I think the effort required for realizing an open source client is too much right now, I better do collaborate with Tomahawk and extend that player.  And also become a key collaborate to new music platform that is not vendor locked in.

SUGGESTED POSTS