Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Inappropriate ads

Solved!

Inappropriate ads

After the condom ad fiasco I would think Spotify would scrutinize their ads a little better. The current ad for lingerie and sex stuff is not what I want playing at work or with the kids around. There the kids were, listening to THE BIBLE of all things and this ad for valentines day sex stuff comes on. Our consideration for a premium account died right there. I can't and won't pay for an account without assurance that a better ad policy is in place. 

76 Replies

The people saying that they should just upgrade is stupid, I remeber when I was a free user there was a ad for a MTV movie that had silence and a loud scream and that really unsettled me and a few other people on Twitter.

Tweet

I think Donzella is aware that there are no ads in premium but is concerned about funding an institution that displays vulgar, adult material without giving users the option of not listening to it. Because while Donzella may be old enough to hear the messages, his children certainly are not. Or he may not have a desire to let vulgar images into his mind, which is a lifestyle choice that Spotify should respect and accommodate- every user has different values and if Spotify is going to try to serve a wide range of listeners then they should be prepared to individualize the experience. Donzella shouldn't have to lie about his age in order to achieve his desire for an uplifting, family-friendly music experience.

If you ask me, what spotify SHOULD be doing is playing ads based on what you're listening to.

For instance, if you look up something on amazon, or ebay, a lot of the ads you see on facebook, yahoo, or other sites that display ads, will often be what you looked for on ebay or amazon.

This is how the ads should work on spotify, play ads based on the songs/artists in your playlist, the same way they radio is based on a specific artist, album, playlist, or track.

This would be a lot more satisfying, and would likely bring them more revenue, and/or users, as they would have more options for advertisers, instead of relying on the same people all the time, using vulgarity & obscene language, during a sunday school/children's church class...

Add your tracks!

What's a Spotify Rock Star , and how do I become one?
Do not touch
Don't touch this either
Seriously, stop

We are old enough, but we are not alone when we listen to music (at home with children or at work). Ads about horror films or **bleep** stuff are not accepteble, even we do not have the premium account. We listen to enough advertisements on Spotify, I suppose we don't have to listen to inapropriate ones (you could have a special time zone for them). I was with my kid just a few moments ago listening to Scott Joplins rags and another horror movie adv came up. I suppose you wouldn't propose the free account users just to uninstall and stop using your application...

I strongly agree with you,Spotify should really change their ads regardless whether or not you're a minor... Thanks for the input.

The Spotify upholders should really consider having an option for that. Get people to agree with you and spotify would probably make it happen. 🙂

I am really sorry to hear that Miss..:( I will try to email people I know so that they can also email spotify upholders about this issue and see if that will help them see that they need to fix this issue.

Please,please,please get more people too agree to this lovely idea its so smart if you get at least 100 people to agree I can email spotify about it and see what they say

What if we had kids around while it was playing? I don't even want to hear these ads let alone have them playing around younger children. I cannot afford to pay for premium or any other plan, and that still doesn't mean I should be subjected to these inappropraite ads, most of the other ads are absloutly fine and I dont mind having them playing. 

You are right, I'm a teen playing games listening to my Christian music. And this ad comes up with CONDOMS, I mean what the flip, why is Spotify advertising inappropriate adult ads. Me and my friends don't know nor like anything about sexual Intercoures. We DON'T even want to know about this, we just want to listen our favorite songs, not inappropriate **bleep**, all of is **bleep** just **bleep**, FLIPIN **bleep**,**bleep**,**bleep** AHHHHH!!!

YOU BETTER FIX THESE darn ADS SPOTI-**bleep**, MY DOG IS BITTING MY CONTROLLER!!!!!---------

Well that's quite sad when religious people find condom ads inappropriate. "We don't know and like anything about them", those ads are meant to raise awareness, or just remind that there are safer options around.

I can understand, though, why ads are so disliked. They are everywhere! 😉

(well, unless you know how to get around it)

and who wants to hear Demi Lovato between some fierce darkstep?
But the truth is, ads bring in a whole lot of money. They seriously pay with their blood to advertise their products. 😉

More customized ads would honestly be interesting. I hardly care about plane tickets, but I am all in for services that I care about. But here's the problem: when you see an ad online about, say, AKG new mics, that doesn't necessarily mean that the company will make an audio ad for it.. so you're not likely hearing it on Spotify.

(s e x sells.)

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You're lying to yourself if you claim you know nothing of sexual
intercourse, though the ads are still inappropriate given your music
preferences
Add your tracks!

What's a Spotify Rock Star , and how do I become one?
Do not touch
Don't touch this either
Seriously, stop

wa

Unfortunately they still play those ads for minors. My account has a birthdate for a 14 year old and my kids still got to hear the condom and pot ads. Is this illegal? I have complained about the ads before and nothing changed.

Liam wrote: 

You are hearing these adverts because you are old enough to listen to them. If you set your age to make you a minor, you wouldn't be hearing them.

So because I'm an adult, I can no longer opt out of ads related to **bleep** or some other topic/category I approach discreetly? How cute and entirely immature.

If this resolved a question / problem, please mark it as a solution. If it was helpful or you like what I have to say, please give some kudo love! 🙂 Thank you!

Follow Me

Well, this is because Spotify gives some options for advertisers to plan their campaigns. If they select "adults", you will hear them because you belong to that target.

I would like that ads were more accurate to my tastes (not only in music, for example I hear ads in an official language in my country which is spoken by 10 millions of people in a country with 46,5 millions and hardly spoken in my city), and the posibility to dislike some of them, but I think the options of segmentation for advertisers are quite basic (country, gender and age mostly).

I am a middle school teacher and I use Spotify to play music to help students focus while they work. When a condom ad comes on, not only do they not focus, but my Spotyfiy is jeopardizing my job. Please fix this problem, or I will be unable to use Spotify again. 

Suggested posts