Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify will introduce FREE mobile streaming soon

Spotify will introduce FREE mobile streaming soon

Spotify will soon allow its ad-supported users to stream music on demand for free on their mobile devices, according to reports from the Wall Street Journal and TechCrunch. The company is reportedly holding an event next week to announce the service tweak, which takes a bit of the incentive away from subscribing.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/12/report-spotify-will-introduce-free-mobile-streaming-next-wee...

Comments?

39 Replies

Well, I have heard, that you can root your android phone and use it in a tablet mode so you don't have to suffer from those limitations.

But what's the point to pay for premium after that, I mainly listen spotify in my home PC and some times in my wp8 phone.

WP8 still requires premium, Spotify free on mobile is only for iOS and android at the minute. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Like @WithstandLaser I'm also a Unlimited user, did I hear correctly when he said that I as an Unlimited user can listen without ads on my cell-phone/tablet? So basically as an Unlimited user I will have the same features as a Free user on ALL devices, with the exception that my experience will be ad-free?

Which leads me to my next question, if for example my parents would want to user Spotify on a tablet at home on their WiFi they could do this on a Unlimited subscription? The different between on Unlimited vs. Premium on a tablet today is the ability to download for offline listening, limited to the "normal quality" for the sound stream? So if you don't use offline playlists and think it's sufficient with the "normal quality" sound stream there's no other perks of being a Premium user if you only use a tablet (or a PC)? Or other limitations for that matter?

EDIT:

I almost forgot, what happened to the 10 hour limit? This does no longer exist for Free users?

From the details I have gathered so far, it appears Spotify unlimited will give you the same offering as free, but with the adverts removed on all platforms. You can now use a tablet with an unlimited account in the same way as "Free" on the graphic below (but with no advertising):

BbPNyUzCMAAIWIx.png

As for the 10 hour limit, it appears to have been removed in the majority of markets, still waiting on an official confirmation from Spotify. 

Peter

Is it global feature? So can my little brother use Free account on Android phone for free? Finland is country.

@hpguru wrote:

Is it global feature? So can my little brother use Free account on Android phone for free? Finland is country.

Sorry for answer, I got this. Logged with my brother acount and streamed some tunes with ads. That works...

Yes it's good update for user, my brother can now listen music on the go also. Hopefully no time limites...

Confirmed time limits have been removed as far as I am aware! 🙂

Peter

Great.

One friend is removing Premium subscription because Free is enough with average sound and no limits. He likes to listen random stuff, radio stations on Spotify or playlist by others. So Free is now good offer!

Hmm, well according to a mod post in another thread, there are ads for unlimited users on mobile after all. Perhaps I was just lucky when I gave it a spin.

@WithstandLaser wrote:

Hmm, well according to a mod post in another thread, there are ads for unlimited users on mobile after all. Perhaps I was just lucky when I gave it a spin.

I can confirm upon a clarification request, unlimited gives you exactly the same experience on tablet and mobile as a free account does. The only advantage unlimited has over free is no advertising in the desktop client (as advertised). 

Peter

Hello,  I have subscribed to Spotify Unlimited for some time on my laptop.  I can now  listen to my playlists for free on my tablet.  However what will happen when the time limits/ number of plays kick in on the free version ?  Will that affect my laptop playlists?

Thanks for reply.

What country are you in? Free time limits have been removed in almost all countries with the free table/mobile announcement.

Peter

Thanks for reply I am in UK.  It is just that I read on a comparison between "free" and "unlimited"  that these restrictions start after six months.  Can you clarify.  Thanks..

No need to worry, Spotify free time limits have been removed in the UK for everyone (even after 6 months).

Enjoy unlimited listening time on Spotify free. 😉

Peter

Thank you Peter.  That answered my query perfectly.  Cheers RH.

Hi
Sweet this that not only Premium can play on mobile, I don't mid that we can only play shuffle as Unlimited. But and that's a big BUT what sucks thou for Unlimited subscribers is that we get exactly the same as free users, Im a paying customer so at least they could do is remove the commercials and the skip restrictions for unlimited subscription. 

I really hope that they can fix that.

Hey there.

Unlimited was released as ad-free and unlimited on your PC 🙂

Can someone from the Spotify support area please confirm whether or not-  As of July 2014 Spotify Unlimited is still available in the United States? 

I don't see any options when logged out to sign up for Unlimited. This should be a simple question, thanks in advance for the help!

Yes it should be, but it is no longer advertised. Go here to sign up:

https://www.spotify.com/purchase/product/unlimited/?

Peter

Thank you Peter, as an existing unlimited user I cant see that directly. However I do appreciate knowing the option is still there as it will make me more comfortable upgrading to premium knowing Spotify is offering more  than 1 good option for its users.

Suggested posts