Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Do you use speakers or headphones more at home?

Do you use speakers or headphones more at home?

When you’re at home, do you prefer to listen to music through headphones or speakers more often?

I like how speakers allow the music to flood the room, kind of like being at a concert at a small venue, so I tend to use them more than headphones when I’m at home. However, I was curious to hear the preferences of others; feel free to share!

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
34 Replies

For me I'd say it's headphones, I don't have good speakers at home, only in the kitchen, so whenever I'm sitting at the computer or doing chores I use headphones.

Also, sometimes my house gets a bit noisy, so headphones can be a good option to isolate yourself and listen to the music.

I wear my AirPods nonstop even though I have higher quality headphones. It’s incredibly easy to go from music to a phone call or meeting with them while working. I use them while cleaning house, cooking, exercising, getting ready to go out and etc, too. They stay out of the way and fit me really well. I’d have to turn my sound system up quite high to hear it throughout my home.

At home I listen with headphones even tho i like it more with speakers, but I'm a Person that overthinks everything and I'm always scared that when I listen to music loud or with speakers other people don't like it and talk about it, and because of the lyrics, they mean a lot to me when I've gone through something from the lyrics and the music is like a way to communicate for me so I don't listen to music loud and with headphones but when I'm alone I listen to music on speakers.

It depends. I use both.

I use speakers exclusively during the daytime, since that's when it won't disturb my family members. I'll switch over to headphones when I detect someone has gone to their bedroom and stays there. 😄

However, the prime time of music listening for me is late evenings/nighttime and I have bought considerably accurate-sounding and comfortable headphones for this, the AKG K712.
I would love to upgrade my speakers too (to something like Neumann KH120), but considering I end up on headphones more often, my primary attention is on their decency. : )

I don't worry much about specific content I play being disturbing to anyone, since it's a large house and I play at fairly low volumes, but I do join listening parties often and some of the played content I'd prefer on headphones...
Talking about very harsh-sounding content like Death Grips, noise, some metal music, or just questionable things. 😅
I don't want to play Current Value on speakers too often either. : )

SebastySpotify Star

I generally use head phones because I dropped more money for head phones instead of speakers.  When I move back to the States I'll get a nice speaker for the house.  A Man Cave.

If I really want to feel the music I’ll listen with my headphones all the way up, but if I’m just vibing I like speakers

@Miselio, very very true... Especially if wearing AirPods Pro with Noise Cancellation on and putting music at 70%. Makes listening music much easier and blocks out all unwanted noise. And can easily pick up any incoming calls or so...

Only speakers I have are the ones on my phone AND laptop.

I usually drop my beats on Spotify within Sony WH1000X-M3 or Huawei Freebuds i4. Bass is guaranteed.

I have no other opton as I want to hear it loud and my music is a bit bassy. So neighbour could be in seconds next door!

While a nice speaker setup can definitely feel immersive, I personally prefer headphones. Years ago I splurged on a fairly high-end set, Beyerdynamics DT880, which I still use to this day. When listening to music, they are amazing, all details are heard, the low and high frequencies are balanced, just lovely. Getting this kind of audio fidelity out of a speaker system would cost you hundreds of times more. 

@ wrote: Mynordstrom Portal

I actually read a very good analogy about that, headphones are to speakers like motorbikes are to cars. Less practical, but you can get amazing performance at a much lower price point.

I mostly use my android phone to play music of Spotify. Firstly I download my playlist on very high quality. Then I get my fiio ka1 usb dac. Then put on my sennheiser hd 300 headphones. The DAC and theses headphones work brilliantly together.  

When my current almost 3yo old headphones €299 die, I might probably go to this wired model of Hd 300 headphones.

I don't really use mine as bluetooth and I am cheapskate, so why to pay more for features like noice cancelation when I do not even take them outside with me. The sound may not be as great, but then it's 6 times less too at the shops locally.

I am just extreme cheapskate when it comes to things. I use it until headphone falls apart.

I maximize everything I can tike considered the price I paid. When everything falls, I'll go for mentioned Sennheiser.

So today I joked about selling this Sony stuff.

Did on second hand internet selling place a note about selling Sony WH-1000XM3 and immediately somone wanted them.

He drove his car quickly in 10 minutes and I was able to sell them for 60 euro. He said that's his budget, I asked 85 euros in a design to sell them for 20 euros less. I let it go as I was extremely tired charging them for 3 hours each time without music.

Who needs it? They say 10 minutes 4 hours, but who wants even that?? After 4 hours next time.

The headphones were almost 3 years and plastic made sounds when you putting them on. Cushions look like 10 year old piece of junk... but he bought them. I was so happy. 60 euros off from new headphones. I did consider HD 300 model.

It looked however clumsy and cheap, so I added 70,90 more from my savings to get Sennheiser HD 569.

I listen Spotify Premium with this now. Much better sound than on Sony 299 euro pieces and they ARE NOT EVEN IN.

After 100 hours they will be at the maximum sound potential. You can hear also anything else too than only bass.

Now I can just listen to music without ever chargering these again for hours.

Really happy with Sennheiser HD 569, after running them in (100 hours of listening time). These are perfect.

I mean they have so low impedance that even my gaming laptop with B&O sound can run them. Bass is strong, but it's not the only thing you will hear. People talk about getting Lossless on them, but oh boy. The Spotify Premium sounds so well. It's pure heaven for enjoyment.

I definitely have nothing to lose anymore. Glad I sold Sony for 60. They were at the end of life anyway.

If you search good sound, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser...

What's your definition of music?

https://open.spotify.com/track/6UAIi5PcjziT5B4CUvGqYs?si=e0b690985d614014

headphones only because my alexa blew up and my parents are very happy about that and they refuse to buy me a new one.

understood that preferences for speakers or headphones can vary based on individual factors such as the purpose of listening, personal taste, and the environment. Some people prefer the convenience and intimacy of headphones, while others enjoy the immersive sound of speakers. Both options have their advantages, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

For me it really depends on what I'm doing!
If I'm working or doing stuff around the house then it's speakers all the way.
I have a pair of GoldenEar passive speakers (unbelievably clear and warm sound. Super hot for "real instruments" music, i.e. not great for music that has extreme EQ like Dance or Metal) plugged into a KECES E40 amp (nothing fancy but does the job well). For speakers like this, to get the best out of them you need to be at no more than 1mt away, that's if you wanna hear every single little detail of the song.

When I'm making music (this is me: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2M5U50SFHWltbEW8ufgbur?si=_LE-C48xRPKcll6jbwkn1w ) instead I always use headphones because I can hear the most subtle changes better than with the speakers. I think it's completely personal. I have friends producers who'd say exactly the opposite.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 pro which are just awesome for music production. Highly recommend them.

A mix of both. It just depends really.

You can hear a lot more of the little details of the song with headphones / earphones.

MattSudaSpotify Star

agreed! headphones is always good.

My Personal Preference Is : My 17 Speakers because when i listen to spotify so do all my neighbours its sharing that counts.

I also have a Logitech G933 Headset for personal listening but hardly uses them these days... 

Suggested posts