Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Question of the Week: What's your earliest music-related memory?

Question of the Week: What's your earliest music-related memory?

Hey : )

Friday is finally here and weekend is pretty much at the doorstep now, so it's time for a new question. This time let's walk down the memory lane and recall what's your earliest memory connected to music.
Something with instruments? The first song you remember hearing and loving? Wondering about different musical sounds? anything!

Have a lovely weekend ahead! 🌞

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
16 Replies

Three Memories:

1) Song: The Sign - Ace of Base

Year: 1994 - Age 7

Event: Doing cartwheels in the Livingroom to this song when no one was looking. Boom box was sitting on the outer hearth of the fireplace, and I was afraid of people seeing me in a fit of flamboyant joy.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0hrBpAOgrt8RXigk83LLNE?si=1b134b2467d94f03

2) Song: Longview - Green Day

Year: 1995 - Age 8

Event: My babysitter, Shannon, slipped the Dookie album into my hands one summer day and said "Do NOT tell your parents that you got this from me. There are BAD words and I don't want to hear you repeat them, but I want you to have your own music". This was the first album I ever owned, and it's still one of my favourites.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3LRJbFT9rKoKv4aW7PuBJC?si=741f4d4f73b9408f

3) Song: Queen - We Will Rock You

Year: 1996 - Age 9

Even: The summer of '96, I was at my aunt and uncles with 12 cousins for a pool party. I changed in the basement and saw a box of CDs and flipped through them until I was HORRIFIED with the album cover of "News of the World" where the giant robot holds a human in his hand and has blood dripping from his finger. My life changed though when the "Stomp stomp Clap" of "We Will Rock You" blasted through the speakers.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0a9sd6MEXZXIPHk0fAxpZ4?si=184a8e2d5e074359

Great question, @Sebasty!

I had to think about it a bit, but one of my earliest music-related memories would have to be listening to "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar while playing dodgeball in my grade-one dodgeball club. If I recall correctly, we had a dodgeball game every week, and we would always start with this song. It would have been back in 2008, so I was six at the time.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0vOkmmJEtjuFZDzrQSFzEE?si=ad243457381e4a17

NoahSpotify Star

Great question, @Sebasty!

It’s hard for me to say what is my earliest musical memory, but one that comes to mind is being with my dad and older brother while my dad recorded music onto cassette tapes using his stereo system; I remember thinking it was cool to see the music recorded while the cassette was spinning in the stereo system. I think I was still in preschool at the time, but am not completely sure.

I also have relatively early memories of hearing the CDs that my dad would play in the garage or in the car (probably when I was in Kindergarten or elementary school). Here are some of the songs I remember in particular:

spotify:track:0cuq829zRNq4AEdmDJA4aw:small 

spotify:track:4yqtwO7MQIIXqoiRBPHAgR:small 

spotify:track:5ghIJDpPoe3CfHMGu71E6T:small 

The Nirvana song was one that my dad would play quite loudly sometimes, including later when I was in middle school, and I remember that my brothers and I thought it was hilarious because the song sounds so angry.

Another early memory that I have is from when my family lived in an apartment (I think when I was in first grade), and I had a Walkman at the time. I was laying on my bed with my eyes closed, listening to different radio stations, and had found one that I hadn’t heard my parents play in the car before. It was playing a song that I liked, and which I later discovered to be “No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley & The Wailers:

spotify:track:423hwXFgoN8RYmqLoLuVvY:small 

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Such a lovely question @Sebasty!

The earliest thing I remember is driving to France with my parents and having this CD on: https://open.spotify.com/album/2mwDt9SXbgUo9qUAkWYgbC?si=ma2mCO7OQ-GQF5xHiCQWPg

I think I've heard this CD every year we went there. I vividly remember cruising the highways, staring out the window for hours and looking at the beautiful sunflower fields in summer. 🌻

HuboSpotify Star

It may be sunday now but I remember listening to the soundtrack of .....

grease on vinyl over a tiny village in the archipelago so EVERYONE ON EVERY ISLAND KINDA OF HEARD IT. Hahahah. We did not care.When you are a child, you don't care about neighbourghs. I wish we remained, like that.

but the real deal is this memory:

My elderly auntie singing lullabies to me. (When I was younger than 4) 🙂 ❤️ Lovelies voice I ever heard.

Nice question @Sebasty 

Now it's not easy to think of a particular incident cause even today there's songs I like simply because they take me back to better days.

In my family,I related mostly with my aunt cause I liked her collection of music and movies. Most of the artists I listen to today are from those days.

This  is Roman's Revenge by Nicki Minaj.

Here we have Autumn Leaves by Chris Brown and Kendrick Lamar.

She is a very active person so I remember coming home from school to find her playing these while doing some cleaning around the house. Almost like a Spring cleaning everyday 😭❤️.

TaylithSpotify Star

All the love to you, i understand what you mean. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ *digital hugs*

Thank you so much @emmasaberhagen 

These wholesome comments always make my day 💚

And yes you're right,as kids we were so carefree, things were much simpler and we really lived in the moment (even though we couldn't possibly explain what living in the moment means 🙂).

Nice story about your aunt and her lovely voice.

Have a great week 💛

TaylithSpotify Star

Same here, that's why I leave them! ❤️
We are all human and we all grow up but I think, whilst listening to music, we can, sort of, grow ...down? A bit, you know. At least in our minds? And imagining running through fields of grass again, not a care in the world. *sighs whistfully and looks out the window* You described it so well, When we didn't know what a moment meant. Because every moment...we were there, maybe? Not somewhere else? Worrying about bills or someone passing or worries of that or the world...It's okey to tune out and be that person, young person again I think. Just give ourselves a break somehow. Now and again 🙂

I loved your story too, it ...touched my heart, hearing about an aunt after mine, ahhh, my heart is confetti puddles on the floor. She used to walk around singing the words to the song I was playing on the piano, I knew the notes, she knew the words.
I miss her, but she's always here, because I remember her. And I think that is magically human?
Have a lovely day you too, was so happy you got happy!
Makes someone's day? *check* 🙂 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Take care please and always love music!!!
And don't be afraid to say hi again, ever 🙂

Hope I really made your day. I am both wholesome and not, I think we have flaws and we are okey even if we are salty for a day. 🙂 So know that you are f ine, as you are, in whatever mode, right now.
LOVE TO YA *getting longer and longer now* BEST OF WISHES Emma ❤️

when i was 3, i was shown metal for the first time (metallica- st anger) and i loved it. probably why i have a soft spot fo the album aswell. I was in my mothers 1999 Buick LeSabre, eating a cookie, and then i was exposed to the root of everything i listen to today

How do I Use songs as ring tones on my Samsung galaxy phone? 

Hi,

Very nice question and also pretty hard because there are so many memories about music from my childhood. Atleast one is that my mom used to play classical music with piano. I remember to playing with lego duplos and I empathized with music in my play 😀

Ofcourse I also remember awesome theme songs from cartoons. Ducktales, Chip'n dales: rescue rangers, tnmt, biker mice from mars etc. They are still great theme songs. Macgyver had also a killer theme song even I wasn't so into the show itself.

Aww, I wish my parents played the piano, that sounds so lovely honestly @LawryPopson! Any particular classical track you enjoyed?

I've been trying all week to remember in order to add my reply here and your post gave me an answer to the oldest memory I can think of:

Getting ready for kindergarten, and my mom would sing us the theme song of a kid's show. It was about two twin bananas and their adventures. Pretty old kid's show, but I remember I loved it silly because of the theme song.

It's called "Μπανάνες με πυτζάμες" in Greek, but I think it's different in English. Nostalgia vibes today!

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi,

Thank you, yeah it was pretty nice😊 All though I have to admit that sometimes I was annoyed by it. The piano makes a loud sound. Today I can anyway appreciate the fact that there was music in our home. 

This is the composition which I remember best: https://open.spotify.com/track/2eXsutPvldtwkQewufLkVl?si=OS5AUbvpSbOyiMHfGl4Q4A&utm_source=copy-link

Oscar Merikanto - Valse Lente

I'm not sure how well known it is world wide, but in Finland it is pretty valued.

By the way, your memory sounds very nice too.

Lots of lovely replies, so sweet to read all of them!

I remember sitting on the backseat of the old brown Nissan driving home, the radio was playing and I was just quietly listening, not paying any attention to anything passing by. I'm 80% sure it was this song that was playing:

spotify:track:303ccTay2FiDTZ9fZ2AdBt:small 

and I would imagine some kind of spark performing this song in the speaker, like a waveform shown by an oscilloscope.

Another very early and even more random memory is me raiding some room I was not supposed to raid (a bathroom-turned-to-storage-room) and thinking about different rhythms in songs played on the radio, and how much they changed the energy of the song.

Sadly there was very little music other than the very occasional radio in my early childhood.

SebastySpotify Star

Great question! It really got me to thinking. The earliest I can think of was when we would visit my grandparents place in Laramie, Wyoming.  My grandfather played several instruments, including a trumpet! But my memory is when he'd play a weird instrument called a "banjulele" (sort of a small banjo / ukulele hybrid) and he would play and sing this song to us with great gusto - "Five Foot Two Eyes of Blue" for my brother and I!  We'd sit and watch / listen with awe.  Thanks for conjuring up this great memory!

https://open.spotify.com/track/1IYzmMdKUwTg1grAoaDlDj?si=696e18c466df4e7f

Suggested posts