Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming from small countries like Liechtenstein

Streaming from small countries like Liechtenstein

Hi,

I was wondering how Spotify counts streams from small European countries like Liechtenstein, Andorra, Vatican and San Marino. Will they be counted for another country? There is no charts for Liechtenstein. Will the streams I play there be counted as Swiss or Austrian streams? How does that work?

Very curious because I am in Liechtenstein at the moment. 

1 Reply

Tail-wagging hello to you H_Jay!
When it comes to counting streams from small European countries like Liechtenstein, Andorra, Vatican City, and San Marino, the specific details of how Spotify attributes those streams to a particular country may not be publicly disclosed by Spotify. However, I can provide you with some general insights on how streaming platforms typically handle such situations.

• Aggregation with neighboring countries: In the case of small countries without their own dedicated charts or specific regional breakdowns, streaming platforms like Spotify may aggregate the streams from these countries with those of neighboring or geographically close countries. This approach is often used to ensure that the streams from smaller regions are accounted for and contribute to the overall chart rankings and statistics.

• Proximity and user preferences: The attribution of streams from countries like Liechtenstein may depend on various factors, including the proximity to neighboring countries and the listening preferences of users in those regions. For example, streams from Liechtenstein might be attributed to Switzerland or Austria, considering their proximity and similarities in music preferences.

• Backend data management: Streaming platforms typically have sophisticated backend systems that handle data processing and attribution. They use algorithms and statistical methods to analyze user listening patterns, location data, and other relevant factors to assign streams to specific regions or countries.

It's important to note that the exact methodology and criteria for attributing streams to specific countries may vary between platforms, and the information provided here is based on general industry practices. Spotify, as a leading streaming platform, likely employs a similar approach to account for streams from smaller European countries.
I'll be doggone if I don't hear from you!

-Prague the Dog

PragueSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts