Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Tutorial] Spotify not playing what you expect it to? How to Clear your Play Queue

[Tutorial] Spotify not playing what you expect it to? How to Clear your Play Queue

How to Clear your Play Queue

This is not an officially supported Spotify workaround. 

Is your Spotify misbehaving? Playing songs which are you not expecting?

It sounds like you need to clear your Play Queue. 

First thing to try is make a playlist which only contains one track (you sometimes get strange behaviour if you try a blank playlist), and select "Choose as Current Playlist" in the right click menu (on the playlist name in your sidebar). If that doesn't empty your play queue then follow the steps below. 

This appears to be a common problem if the number of community posts are anything to go by, thankfully there is an easy and quick way to fix it. Just follow the steps below: 

repeat off.png1. Disable Repeat Mode

Disable Repeat mode by unticking the icon in the bottom right of the client window. If you do not do this, you won't be able to clear the play queue since it will go in a loop forever! 

2. Navigate to your Play Queue.

play queue.pngThe Play Queue is accessible by pressing the "Play Queue" text in the top left corner of the Spotify client. At this point, you can manually delete any tracks which are in yellow text to speed up the process.

3. Double Click the Top Track of the Queue. 

This will make sure that it is playing. top play queue.png

4. Repeatedly press the Skip/Next Button until your Play Queue is Completely Empty.

skip button.png

These buttons will be in the bottom left corner of the desktop client. Once you have done that you should have a Play Queue that looks like this:

play queue empty.png

5. Return to your playlists or other music and enjoy!

That is it! You are done, return to your playlists or searches and enjoy your music!

If this guide has helped you out, please add your kudos below! 🙂

If you are still having issues after following these steps, I would strongly suggest you try a clean reinstallation of the Spotify client as it should also fix any issues you are having with this.

Peter

I do not work for or in anyway professionally connected to Spotify.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

15 Replies

I use spotify on iPad & am just lately having this problem with playlists not playing in sequence. There is no queue for the mobile version so wounding how to proceed?

@Nagsminxy wrote:
I use spotify on iPad & am just lately having this problem with playlists not playing in sequence. There is no queue for the mobile version so wounding how to proceed?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Do you have the shuffle function active on the now playing screen? 

Peter

Peter

Just create an empty playlist and use that as the current playlist. 

@richardap wrote:

Just create an empty playlist and use that as the current playlist. 

Normally that will work, but this guide was written specifically for when items appear to get stuck in the play queue, it used to be an old minor bug/issue, not sure if it has been fixed but when it happened starting another playlist would leave the current playlist stuck in the play queue 😉 

Peter

Peter

Peter, this doesn't work for me. I obviously am capable of skipping all the songs in the queue. But songs that are white (as in, they were "played", not "queued) re-add themselves to the queue every time.Repeat is not on. Any time I double click a song from search results or from a playlist, instead of right clicking and hitting "queue", I get this problem. Any suggestions?

Try:

1. Make a new playlist, leave it empty.

2. Right click on the playlist name > Choose as current playlist.

3. Ignoring any errors, that should empty your play queue. 

Peter

I understand that. It doesn't work though. The playlist will play through, and then when I go back to the queue, every song from that playlist gets automatically added back in. If I make a playlist with one song, the song will play to the end, then re-add itself to the queue over and over. If I queue something else (so it shows up in yellow), it will play that song, then go back to playing the one song playlist over and over.

Apologies, you said make a blank playlist. When I do that, I get errors, but then the queue does empty. Thank you.

I love you. This is perfect.

But how do you do this on mobile?

I don't have 'choose as current playlist' so I'm stuck right off the bat...

stoopidspotify.PNG

hi - how do you do this from the app please?  Rather than "right click" what do you do?

Yes i am having this same problem with the app. How do u do it from the app?

It worked! Thank you so much!

Hi there, something seems to be quite off with the webplayer "queue" function - it just "refills" when a playlist is done?? Not what I expect, kindly make it stoooooop 🙂

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Suggested posts