[Account] Username

[Account] Username

Samwello
Casual Listener

Hi guys.

I have an issue with my new Spotify account and I read several threads regarding this issue but none of them seemed to help. 

So, I got random letters and numbers as my new username and read a thread about changing username on this website, so I did. I changed it and checked out my profile on Spotify app but it didn't seem to be changed. I checked it on website instead and the result was same. It seemed to be changed on this community website, which was weird for me. 

This is quite confusing and I have several questions, for example...

-Why are we no longer able to pick our own usernames like we used to (not community-side only)? 

-I have a very old Spotify account and its username got replaced with several random numbers. Why did you Spotify folks change it? 

-How do I get my old username back (if it's possible, that is)? 

-Is changing the username on this website community-side only or is it global (e.g. on Spotfiy app, sharing playlists, displaying username on other networks, etc.)?

-Do you lots have any plans to solve this issue?

-Was this thing intended? 

Sorry for putting up so many questions but I read all articles related to this topic and they seemed to lack informations and some even contained incorrect infos, so I was hoping someone would be willing to spend their time to answer my questions or at least some of my questions. 

By the way, please do not advise me to connect my Spotify account with Facebook. I don't plan on doing this. 

Thanks in advance and I wish you lots a nice weekend!

-Sam

3 Replies

Re: [Account] Username

Hey there @Samwello,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

First, keep in mind that your Community username is different than the one you see in the Spotify app. That would explain why the username you see in the app remained unchanged after updating your Community username.

Regarding your username as you see it in the app, unfortunately it's not possible to update it. 

Usernames are automatically generated, so are usually a string of random numbers and letters.

However, when you sign up for a new account without Facebook, you should be prompted to enter your preferred display name. While you can't use this display name to log in (you can simply access your Spotify account with your email address and password), this is how your friends can look for you on Spotify.

On another note, if your account was created with Facebook, you won't need to enter your preferred display name upon signup as your Facebook name will be shown instead.

If you did create your Spotify account through Facebook and you're suddenly seeing a string of random numbers and letters instead of your Facebook name, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer to fix this. 

There's also more information regarding your Spotify username here.

Hope this helps clarify things but don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Have a lovely day :)

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Samwello
Casual Listener

Thanks for the reply. There's still one issue left unsolved. I created a very old Spotify account back then without Facebook and if I remember correctly, I inserted my username there which got changed to bunch of random numbers without my authorization. What happened? I read some threads about this where some people complained about their usernames being changed to numbers. 

Highlighted

Hey again @Samwello,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

It sounds like you created a regular Spotify account and you entered the display name you'd prefer to see. Keep in mind that usernames are automatically generated and are a string of random numbers and letters. Once an account is created, it's not possible to update the username or display name of it.

However, it should be normal to view your account's username instead of display name in instances, for example in your Account overview page.

It'd be helpful to if you could include any screenshots or examples of where it appears for you so we can take a closer look. Just make sure that no private or sensitive info is displayed :)

Keep us posted!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
SUGGESTED POSTS