Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add New Songs to Top of Playlists

Solved!

Add New Songs to Top of Playlists

Why can't I do this.

Please, refrain from saying:

1)You can just drag them from the bottom to the top! Please

... this is unmanageable to do for every single song you add to a playlist.

2) Sort playlist by newest added

... then you can't rearrage the songs.

52 Replies

Can you please explain what works for you.

Fully agree! I was goong to ask for An improved integration with Alexa, so that you can choose to start playlists from “the most recently added”/how you have sorted them in the app (Alexa basically becomes useless for me now expect for to use as any other speaker + you can switch songs), but this is way smarter! Then you (Spotify) can do the developing in-house and it would work for all third-parties! 100% agree!!! Please 🙌🏼

Spotify please make this possible. I've been waiting for this to become a thing for ages, its so annoying to have to drag/copy your new songs to the top of your playlist

Marked as solution

Hey @jgspotify,

Thanks for suggesting this idea in the Community!

We just wanted to let you know that there is an existing idea in the Idea Exchange with this suggestion - just head here and add your vote.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Hope that helps! FYI - we've marked this post as the solution for the sake of visibility.

Stay awesome 🙂

This is not a solution (it only allows a person to move single tracks to the top of a playlist).  We need the capability of having playlists automatically organized in reverse order to what they currently are... meaning the newest songs dumped into a playlist are found at the top and not at the bottom of the playlist.  

Agree, this is not a solution. You should put possibility in Settings that we can choose where new songs go, to the top or to the bottom...

Why is this discussion marked "Solved", it is not!

Youtube has this exact functionality for their playlist and it's perfect. Why is a music only company incapable of understanding the needs and features of a listener? 

Youtube playlist settings:

- add new videos to top of playlist (on/off)
- send to top/bottom

These two features that youtube implemented is indispensable, 2020 and Spotify STILL does not have them. 

Another issue/feature is that YT does NOT revert order after you choose different sort order. This is exactly the problem of Spotify. It is not easily customizable. The people in charge think people just hit "random" and it's fine. A music company made by non-music fans with limited capacity. You need to think like a DJ. 

Pathetic is what it is. Companies don't care about the user experience, only thing they care about is extracting as much money as possible from it's users. If they did care about it's users why does every update break something? Like a recent fundamental functionality feature, "why does local files synced all show Unknown Artist?"

This could be such an easy fix for Spotify but instead you rather have customers mad about a simple user friendly experience! SMH 

I'm literally switching to YT music because of this, I managed to survive 1 year, but at this point the playlist is too long, and I can't go to the bottom of the playlist and drag the track to the top every time I add something new. So many years to fix it yet nothing, yt has this option since years.

Please don't mark posts as SOLVED when they aren't. Google indexes and shows it like that, which is very confusing and frustrating and will probably and in organically push and keep this old post on top of the search results while the real solution might already be out there. Thanks!

1) select all songs in a playlist (cmd+a on a mac)
2) deselect the one song you want to move to the top
3) drag all the selected tracks just right under this one
4) voilà: you're welcome!

This used to be a feature. I distinctly remember it. Why has it been removed? Also I really am still waiting for us to be able to totally re-arrange playlists easily. I have one I have been keeping for five years and I need the 'date added' to stay as it is, but I want to re-order the playlist in reverse chronological order for my listeners, and then send all new songs to the top of the list. I have been waiting for this re-ordering functionality for years, and now you have removed the 'new song to the top' function. I don't know why you make it intentionally difficult for the content creators on this website, surely they are a group you should be catering most for?

I can't even manually drag and drop my songs to re-order my playlist anymore, wth???

Hmmm... I can.

@jgspotify wrote:

Why can't I do this.

Please, refrain from saying:

1)You can just drag them from the bottom to the top! Please

... this is unmanageable to do for every single song you add to a playlist.

2) Sort playlist by newest added

... then you can't rearrage the songs.

Here is one workaround solution I have found!!

1. Select all tracks you want to reposition with Ctrl + click or Shift + click

2. Scroll to the top of the playlist, Ctrl + click a "marker" track you want all the selected tracks to be repositioned directly under***

3. Now click and drag to move the marker track then immediately release it in the same position

4. All the other selected tracks will now be repositioned directly under that track!

5. Bonus: Ctrl + Z to undo the move

***actually, the other selected tracks will be moved to the marker track relative to where they were in the playlist, so if they were originally somewhere higher than the marker, they will stack directly above, somewhere lower will be stacked directly under.

Hope that helps everyone! This technically won't move selected tracks straight to position 1, since you always need to select a "marker" track to move tracks under, but it's close enough.

It literally needs just one checkbox in playlist settings called "Add new songs to the top of the playlist". Is it really that difficult to implement? 😒

cmon man why cant we still do this

Fr

Suggested posts