Album release dates

Album release dates

klags
Casual Listener

Can someone from Spotify please explain why the heck you guys can't put a correct album release date on all artists' albums? For example, why the hell do I have to go to discogs or itunes to find out when an album was actually released from David Bowie? For some idiotic reason, Spotify insists on listing the dates that EMI or whoever bought/re-licensed/re-released tracks. There is absolutely no excuse for telling the world that an album that was released in 1973 came out in 1998. You owe some respect not only to the musicians, but to the rest of the community, to accurately reflect the release date of an album, not a re-release date or a new copyright date. How deceptive is this?? Extremely deceptive. Imagine if all 15 year olds who listened to David Bowie thought his albums were all released in 1999 or 1999? So sad. Just really sad, compmletely irresponsible, and aboslutely no reason for this to happen.

12 Replies

Re: Album release dates

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the commnunity :) 

There is an idea about showing the original release dates for content here

I think the main issue is, Spotify don't have that data from the record labels, since all of the content is provided directly by the labels. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

klags
Casual Listener

I'm sorry, it is impossible to buy the "fact" that the record labels don't have this info. Not only do they, but it is easily encoded into the digital data on the album. It would be easy to transmit that info to spotify for them to show. They are more than capable of displaying this info, and should be required to. As of now we only get digital licensing dates. Useless!

cocoloco
Roadie

in deezer thewy put above the cover album the exactly year and date of the release

deezer release date.jpg
deezer date relase.jpg

Peter__
Community Legend
From a user perspective though, how useful is such accurate data (thinking from a user perspective and the number of people who would actually use it)?

Peter

Digaph
Casual Listener

I don't agree with you there. Personally I love music, but what I love even more then just listening to music is to get to know an artist and the evolution in the music.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I love to listen to their first albums and see how they grew, read up biografies and often find myself searching the web for song meanings.

If I open an artist page and see the order in which albums are listed is not the correct order of releases it not only confuses me, because I was sure their 3rd album was the one Spotify now lists as their 4th.... but it also means the information is unreliable at other artists as well, artists of whom I'm not familiar with their records and I don't want to learn it wrong.

The dates that are currently displayed are completely worthless as they are unreliable and have no meaning at all.

Cheers,

Digaph

Peter__
Community Legend
@Digaph - Since the original topic was created, Spotify have moved a lot of release dates so they now display the original date rather than the re-release. See the ideas topic linked to above for more details.

Peter

Digaph
Casual Listener

@Peter wrote:
@Digaph - Since the original topic was created, Spotify have moved a lot of release dates so they now display the original date rather than the re-release. See the ideas topic linked to above for more details.

I still see incorrect release dates at various artist, just now I'm looking at the Counting Crows for instance where it says that their 3rd album was released in 2008 where it should have been 1999.

So the problem is still there.

Cheers,

Digaph

user-removed
Not applicable

I take it you are refereing to the third studio release of This Desert Life which was released in 1999?

Strange it shows the correct yeat 1999 when I just accessed the Artist page.

Peter__
Community Legend

If you spot anything that is still incorrect, you can drop a message to the Spotify content team using the instructions outlined in this topic. Once you have submitted a query, the content team will investigate and then pass any needed details over to the record label to request a correction/change if needed (so it can take some time unfortunately!). 

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS