Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Allow Display Names to Appear in Search Engine

Allow Display Names to Appear in Search Engine

Hi there,

The problem:

I'm really glad that Spotify finally allowed us to change our display names, but unfortunately that doesn't solve half the problem. It's difficult, if not impossible, to look up friends or their playlist page via the search engine because the search engine doesn't pull up their display names. I believe that this should be rectified to streamline the social aspect of Spotify. 

Proposed solution:

Improve the search engine, and have a filtered search specifically for other users.

While I think it's odd that we can't change our core username at sign-up, perhaps a separate ID or tag system could be implemented to help people look each other up, because I know seeing a 1,000 duplicate "Bob" display names can be tedious to sift through.

So, for example, each account gets assigned a random 4-number hashtag identifier at the end of their display names (similar to Discord), to help filter out duplicates. Ex: Your friend changes his display name from "[insert long series of numbers here]" to "Bob." But when you look him up, he'll be telling you to look up his name followed by his 4-digit identifier, Bob#1234. 

I'm interested in hearing what others in the community and developers have to say. Sorry if this suggestion ends up being redundant, but this social feature being so underdeveloped compared to the rest of what Spotify offers is peculiar to me.

Thanks!

Xan

1 Reply

Hey there @xantay - Welcome to the Community!

Right now, when you carry out a search on these results are based on a lot of factors for example - popularity and how active someone is on the app and another of other factors which the Spotify Algorithms use   Therefore your not guaranteed you’ll be visible through search! In this case I’d recommend that you use the share button on your profile if you're looking to share your profile however I understand this personally may not always be convent. 

So I'd recommend creating an Idea over on the Idea's Board about the specific name generation you mention - You can learn more about the process here.

As long as your post meets the requirements outlined in their it will be passed across to the folks at Spotify however teams from across Spotify are always looking at the Community and may not be active so they may come across this but I'd recommend generating the idea for the best chances of getting this across.

Take Care and Best Wishes, 

/es

Suggested posts