Announcements

Am I the only one who thinks Spotify's user experience sucks?

Highlighted

Re: Am I the only one who thinks Spotify's user experience sucks?

Regular

I didn't read the other replies but wanted to comment right away while I have a moment. Spotify hires some exceptional talent and organizes teams to foster the kind of pride in one's work that can only come from real product ownership. Their backend engineering organization is top notch and it shows in the quality of data delivery.

Does all this great backend engineering naturally translate into a fluid and enjoyable UX? **bleep** no.

In my personal opinion, Spotify's UX and Product Development is really dragging the whole company down. Their mandate is to get users consuming as much new content as possible, and they're all about the numbers.

I do not work at Spotify but obviously I believe I can shed some light on how most software organizations work.

Highlighted

Regular

I honestly believe this could be done on purpose.

Since listening to what we want is difficult more people listen to what Spotify chooses for them. This way Spotify has control over what we are listening to and the can capitalize on it by giving use cheaper music to listen to (Some artists get payed more than others) or accepting payment from artists to push their new albums.

I hope I'm wrong and Spotify simply has a dimwitted Product department but it's getting really hard to believe.

Highlighted

Visitor
I've been using spotify for an hour and it's been giving me migranes. However there are other apps out there that are way better. The chinese NetEase is way easier to use and only requires a free vpn that connects to china to use it, (like UfunR). It's free, without audio ads interrupting your music and you can always get a premium (25rmb/month or 3$) for downloading popular tracks.
The UI is so much simpler and is even available in english. Hope this helps
Highlighted

Visitor

i am developing a web-based, free player in the style of classic winamp.

also a mobile version is planned.

if u are interested take a look here: https://d-amp.net

Highlighted

Roadie

It's hard to believe but as a long time Spotify user, things have deteriorated. The UX was much better long ago. Deezer's UX is pretty good mind you, just not a fan of the Flash app. Might reconsider them now that Spotify has gone woke with their BLM nonsense. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I've used Google Play Music for years and now have to switch since they're discontinuing it. YouTube Music is all over the place and glitches out (especially in the car, and I drive long distances every week), so I'm trying Spotify for the first time. For laziness reasons, I'm just gonna copy/paste some of my tweets because I am currently on an unholy rant rampage on Twitter.

"so since I'm switching to Spotify because Google Play Music is ending, how do I get it to play the whole artist, not just their more popular songs? I'm already not liking this dumb algorithm." [screenshot of Spotify saying there's no way to shuffle an entire discography]

"And what's with this autoplay into different artists when you're done playing 30 of the current artist's songs?? I turned it off, but still. Shouldn't be a default. Do people actually like this?"

"ESPECIALLY when turning off autoplay in playlists is one of the selling points for getting premium. So you'll make us pay to turn off autoplay in playlists but default non-playlist music to autoplay? Buncha no good *grumbles*"

"Playing ONLY the most popular songs for any artist is stupid because any music lover worth their salt knows that the popular songs get old the fastest and we'd like to be able to pepper the non-singles and niche songs in with the ones we hear all the time" 

Your thought of the money making scheme makes SO much sense. I don't like a service that insults my intelligence and takes away the ability to choose.

(and here's that screenshot) 

Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 10.58.46 AM.png
Highlighted

Casual Listener
"DevilEars 
 Roadie
 ‎2020-06-19 01:36 PM

It's hard to believe but as a long time Spotify user, things have deteriorated. The UX was much better long ago. Deezer's UX is pretty good mind you, just not a fan of the Flash app. Might reconsider them now that Spotify has gone woke with their BLM nonsense."

Black Lives Matter whether you like it or not. 

SUGGESTED POSTS