Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Block Genre

Block Genre

I see I can block artists  but can I block a genre somehow?  Algorithm seems to think I would like a genre of music when there's no way I would have ever ever ever have  played a single song of it intentionally.   I keep blocking artists, but I keep getting new ones from this genre recommend

7 Replies

Hey there @00cl

it's currently not possible. There is an Idea here, which was marked as Case Closed by the Spotify Staff. You can see their statement there under the Status Update. 

You can, however, subscribe for the idea, to be the first to know if there is any change in its status in the future : ) 

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks so much!

You are welcome!

My personal recommendation if you want to get more personalized music is to follow as many artists you like, and unfollow these that you don't like. 

You can also go to the Fans Also Like tab in the Artist page, to find more similar artists to the ones you like. As your library grows, Spotify will filter the genres you listen to the most and exclude the ones you listen the less from your recommendations in the future.

If you are interested in sorting and finding new music, you may find this article interesting. Happy listening! 

How can I organize and discover music in Spotify?

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Blocking artists might be a solution for some, unless there weren't a bunch of 3rd class hip-hop artists taking artist names such as Rainbow, Dio, The Cult, Mercenary, TKO, ..... and so on. No, I certainly don't want to block those real bands from appearing in my Made For You playlists, but as there have been some weeks that 30% of my Release Radar was that 3rd class hip-hop, I'd like to do something else to prevent those hiphoppers to appear in my playlists.

I hate hip-hop and everything related.

If there is an option besides blocking an entire hip-hop genre, I'd appreciate a lot. If not, I can't understand why blocking a genre entirely wouldn't be an option.

Exactly. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that hates this nonsense.

Also, who would follow anyone that he or she doesn't like, to begin with?

We need solutions. These artists that are riding the coattails of the names of actually talented and famous artists and bands need to be removed from the real ones' profiles

To help bring this nonsense to the attention of the people that can take care of this, here's a playlist to show the junk that we get in our "Release Radar" playlists.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/08l6rCKHJBYkE3QEajRRQ8?si=hdZx8lWFQaGz-OuY0ogbJg

Since I have put them on here, a couple seemed to have changed their names.

Follow me

... just wanted to add some 3rd class "artists" to the list: Cream, Sinner, Sanctuary, Gun, Lucifer, Eclipse, Loverboy, White Lion. Please check the originals and find some good music.

I'm in the same boat here, please let me block everything hip hop and these "caribean hip hop". I don't know why spotify put these people in my release radar. I'm a metal head!

Suggested posts