Can Spotify find and play my music collection stored on a music cloud service?

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

The reason I ask is because I am considering deleting all my mp3 files which currently live on my iMac. Why? Because that iMac is slow and old and I do not really use it much.  Anytime I buy/adde new music I do it on either of my Mac laptops which I use regularly but on which I have not stored any mp3 hard copies in order not to stuff my laptops with so many mp3 files. So all muisc I have added via laptop has been uploaded to music cloud services and then I delete the mp3 downloaded files from the laptops once these are in the music clouds

At this point I have uploaded all my mp3s to Apple ITunes Match Cloud, Google Music cloud and Amazon Music Cloud. I didnt do this on purpose; it just happened as I experimented with each of these services.

So given this scenario just described, how would Spotify work for me?

If I decide not to delete my mp3 collection from the iMac can Spotify find my mp3 collection in the iMac? Can it do this across multiple computers?

Thank you!

Seb

6 Replies
Highlighted

Betreff: Can Spotify find and play my music collection stored on a music cloud service?

Roadie

Spotify cannot access your uploaded files on another streaming service, so the answer is no. And Spotify does not have an own cloud based service either, it can only play what they have in their streaming catalogue which might offer the same tracks as you have uploaded elsewhere. Of course it can also play your local file library on the computer where you have installed the desktop software.

Highlighted

Betreff: Can Spotify find and play my music collection stored on a music cloud service?

Community Legend
It depends, I'm not sure if you can stream it from the cloud like you want but for me I have all of my mp3's on OneDrive and then I have my OneDrive folder (which does have them downloaded but they stay in sync) added as a local file source in Spotify.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Highlighted

Roadie

That's interesting, I wonder if Spotify could still see them when you delete them from your computer and only have them in the cloud?

Highlighted

Re: Can Spotify find and play my music collection stored on a music cloud service?

user-removed
Not applicable

Thanks all.

Could Spotify "remember" my mp3 collection after it has "seen" it on my computer? (which I could then delete). Im thinking it would remember my collection via by finding it in the Spotify catalog...make sense? 🙂

Highlighted

Re: Can Spotify find and play my music collection stored on a music cloud service?

Roadie

You could create a new playlist with all tracks in your local file collection. The ones which can be found in the Spotify catalogue are shown in white color, non-available tracks are shown greyed out. To highlight all of them simply press Ctrl+A and then right-click them to save them to a new playlist. Remember that there is a 10k track limit for Spotify playlists though, so you would have to create several lists if your local files are bigger than that.

Highlighted

Good to know! (New user here). Do you know if the same can be done with the mobile app if I have audio files saved on an SD card or directly on the phone?

SUGGESTED POSTS