Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can brands use Spotify?

Solved!

Can brands use Spotify?

Hi,

I am wondering if companies can create their own Spotify playlists, with track suggestions from staff and customers?

Is there any term or condition which prevents brands from being able to do this?

Thanks

Rob

36 Replies

Spotify just tweeted back that they "checked this and it's good news! Feel free to embed away 🙂 /A"

Thanks for all the help, now we have a blog to write.

Be sure to drop us a link when you do! 😄

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've red all posts above and I'd like to make me sure... I can't embed spotify play button on official brand page, but if I create some kind of corporate blog (I'm not using brand name but something similar...) is it allowed and legal? Thank you for answer.

You can embed the spotify play button anywhere you like as long as you comply with the terms set out here.

Thank you! But I'm just wondering what does it mean "for commercial purposes" exactly. I'd to add some music pieces to lifestyle content published on our brand page. Is it commercial? We actually don't make money on it, it's just to make our website more attractiv for visitors..

I can't actually find the word "commercial" in those terms - can you maybe paste the relevant sentence here? If you're still in doubt, you can get in touch with spotify direct here. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

Really thank you for  being so helpful!

It's in point IV.3. "WIDGET RESTRICTIONS" : e. Please note that the Spotify Play Button may not be used for commercial purposes. This restriction does not prohibit you from embedding the Spotify Play Button on Websites that contain advertising.

So, does commercial website mean "comercial purpose" or just "website that contain advertising"? 

Ah, thanks. I wonder why searching the page didn't find that 😞

I believe that Spotify is saying that you can't use the play button to directly generate revenue although I have no idea how this would actually be possible. It looks like a case of "let's include this in case someone finds a way to monetise our play button" to me but you can always get a definitive answer using the contact form.

Hi There,

Can you please get back to me on costs for the branded playlists, my client is really interested and I've filled i the contact form on the website thre times now! Thanks,

Sophie

@Sophie_Spirit 

I suggest you contact the brands team at Spotify here:

https://www.spotify.com/brands/

scroll down for the contact form 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am still having a hard time pin pointing the details behind a lot of the different options for creating and posting Spotify playlists. I work for a global consumer product brand that wants to create and post Spotify playlists to our social profiles to generate consumer excitment around the brand.

I understand that we can generate a playlist and post to our social outlets for free (while following a few guidlines). However, this would appear as just a plain playlist with added descriptive text if we want. It would not be branded in anyway, or have a Spotify logo. Correct?
I have also read about adding widgets and creating branded playlists.

Can someone please tell me what the cost and requirements are to creating a branded spotify page for our brand that is housed on the website with our own photos and playlists?

Also, can you please tell me what the rules are behind using a Spotify logo next to our own brand logo on a curated image to include in social posts with our generated playlists?
(IS THIS ALLOWED??) And how much does it cost if anything??

Mostly: CAN WE USE THE LOGO??

Thank you so much!

Sophie

Hi Joe,

I have contacted Spotify about the same thing twice in the last couple of weeks. I am wanting to set up a business account for my company Enjoy Digital. Could you help with this?

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Sam.  

I work for a U.K. based media company.  We want to run a competition whereby our customers post on our website a collection of their favourite lovesongs from their Spotify Account.  Is this possible to do?  Would we have to pay Spotify or the artist any royalties or fees?  

I have looked at the Play widget terms and conditions and in section IV (2) D, it reads "Games and Trivia Quizzes. Unless you receive Spotify’s written approval, you may not use the Spotify Platform to incorporate Spotify Content into any game functionality (including trivia quizzes).  Would this restriction include a competition where customers submitted their favourite love songs?  If so who would I have to write to, to obtain permission for this use.

Kind regards,

Hi!

After reading the answer above, I was wondering what is the difference then between just creating a playlist like the above mentioned (anthropologie) and a branded playlist? Can the image I use for the playlist be the logo of our company? And a small silly question, but if we create a branded playlist, would people who do not have a spotify account be able to listen to it?

Thanks in advance!

Has there been any update to these questions? I'm working with a non-profit that wants to  have it's donors suggest their favorite themed songs and then create a "best of" playlist to share on their social media platforms. No direct request for donation or anything just a cultivation activity. I can't find anything definitive or get anyone from the "Brands" page to respond. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

I'm trying to find out what costs are involved in setting up a branded playlist? Anyone has any information about this? Or where to find it? 

Nope.... all of my requests for info were ignored. I got one response from their help team where they basically said "not our department can't help you. Wait to hear from  the brands department." ..... it's been 2 months That's the only response I received in that entire period. My client went with a different option because we couldn't wait any longer for the info we needed.

Suggested posts