Changing Artist Name

Highlighted

Changing Artist Name

iiiQ
Casual Listener

Hey,

Recently I added myself to Spotify for artists and was curious, I put my artist name in as iiiQ. Now I have been verified but yet the name is displayed as Iiiq which in my opinion looks a little weird. I also have distrokid as a distributor, I was looking to get pointed in the right direction to get this changed! Please let me know if you have experienced anything along these lines or know something that could help! 

Thanks,

iiiQ 

10 Replies

Re: Changing Artist Name

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @iiiQ,

Thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, Spotify can’t change your song or album titles, album art, or artist name manually.

Spotify receives your music, album art, and track info via metadata delivered to them by DistroKid. And Spotify is only able to display this content in the way it’s presented to them.

If something’s wrong with your name or music, you’ll need to contact DistroKid and have them submit an update to Spotify.

Thanks!

MaximRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

iiiQ
Casual Listener

Hey @MAXIM,

First off, thanks for replying to my post. Thats my issue I didnt submit it through Distrokid, I applied to Spotify for Artists via the online account set up. When I input the name as iiiQ it for some reason it automatically changed it to Iiiq. Not sure if this is an issue with how artists are allowed to create names or just my computer but I did it both via iphone (safari) and using chrome. Yet it still put Iiiq... I can contact Distrokid about changing it but I have not even uploaded anything yet, I was setting it up for a project release this month. Also my name for Distrokid is iiiQ so will my spotify name change when I do upload something? 

- iiiQ

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Just to double check, can you please post the URI and a screenshot of your artist profile?

Thanks.

MaximRock Star 24

iiiQ
Casual Listener

Here ya go! I asked Distrokid to submit a Metadata update but not sure if it will change the way my artist name is displayed. 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4BHUW8RD1xXgK3k5LVGnzi

Thanks

iiiQ

Spotify Artist Profile Screenshot.PNG

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! If you have any questions after reaching out to your distributor, give Spotify's artist team a shout at https://artists.spotify.com/contact.

MaximRock Star 24

lhaxhi
Casual Listener

I'm having a similar issue. I want to confirm that my verified status will not be lost if I change my name thru my distributor, in this case, Tunecore. Can you advise?

iiiQ
Casual Listener

Hey I submitted my request for the name change through my distributor (Distrokid, Tunecore, etc.). I did not lose my verification status when it was updated. I am unsure of Tunecore's policy on metadata updates but if you reach out to them I'm sure they will be willing to give more details! 

iiiQ

longvietle

Hi iiiQ, I've got the same issue with my artist name and i have a question that how could you submitted your request to DistroKid? Via email or any place on distrokid site.

Thank you very much!

Gauri95

Hi Maxim, 

If DistroKid sends you metadata to change an existing artist name say from "John" to "John Smith", and say "John" has 100k streams collectively on his songs.

When the name changes to "John Smith" will the number of streams remain the same or will they be reset to 0?

SUGGESTED POSTS