Chromecast Problems

Solved!
Highlighted

Chromecast Problems

SidLexic
Casual Listener

Hello,

I'm having problems while casting Spotify to my Chromecast.  Every song or two the music will either stop playing or just skip mid-track to the next.  When the sound stops for no reason, the track time on the TV also stops but on the smartphone it doesn't.  It sometimes reconnects automatically and starts playing again or skips to the next song.

The wireless source is about 5ft away from the chromecast, same with my phone.  

Is this a defect product? Or does chromecast simply not play well with spotify?  I need to know if I should return this product. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Chromecast Problems

SidLexic
Casual Listener

Solution/Summary:

No solution, compatibility issue with wireless router (Orange, Livebox 3) and Chromecast.  Returned chromecast to point of sale.

Details:

After a week and a dozen hours of trouble shooting, I've come to the conclusion that it is a compatibility issue between the chromecast and my carrier supplied wireless router.  I am with Orange in France, and I've seen on other forums that people with the same setup are having problems with chromecast.  Some had success with changing some settings (see steps marked with *) but I was not so lucky.  

What I tried:

-  Cleared the cache for the two music apps (spotify and google play music), re-installed both apps, rebooted the phone, rebooted the router and factory reset the chromecast.
- Disconnected wifi on smart TV
- Spotify test account
- Different devices (iphone, tablet, laptop, PC)
- Tried Google play music ( has the same problems)

Things tried with the wireless modem:
- Checked UPnP enabled
- Checked AP/client isolation disabled (not available on my router)
- Set static IP for chromecast
* Tried setting different channels for both frequencies. 11 for 2.4Ghz, 40 for 5Ghz
* Tried disabling 2.4Ghz and using only 5Ghz
* Tried disabling 5Ghz and using 2.4Ghz
* Split my wireless to two different SSIDs and connected chromecast to 5Ghz and my phone to 2.4Ghz.
- Placed Chromecast in a DMZ (temporarily)
- Turning off my router firewall (temporarily)

...Resetting and rebooting between each step

Other information:
- chromecast 2, firmware 1.22.77272, purchased last week (problems started immediately)
- I am located in France
- Router model is provided by Orange, it's a Livebox 3 FR, fiber connection.  Frequent speed tests show 90 Mb/s upload and 90 Mb/s download on wifi (further from the router than the chromecast)
- TV Model is LG 47LB650v
- The LED light on the chromecast is solid white, even when the problem occurs
- No particular error messages, sometimes Spotify will say "failed to log in, try again" but that seems to occur less now.
- Zero issues with netflix, youtube, mirracast
- Premium accounts for both Spotify and Google Play Music

Goodluck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

magnusholmqvist
Spotify Legend

Hey,

Sad to hear this. Do you still see these errors?

SidLexic
Casual Listener
Yes, these problems are still occurring. I need to know soon if i should
return this device to the store.

magnusholmqvist
Spotify Legend

Which model do you have?

Do you know if have a stable internet connection?

SidLexic
Casual Listener

It's a Chromecast 2.  I've found no way to check the internet connection strength on the device, but it's only 5ft from the wireless router (unless my TV is blocking the signal).

Solution!

SidLexic
Casual Listener

Solution/Summary:

No solution, compatibility issue with wireless router (Orange, Livebox 3) and Chromecast.  Returned chromecast to point of sale.

Details:

After a week and a dozen hours of trouble shooting, I've come to the conclusion that it is a compatibility issue between the chromecast and my carrier supplied wireless router.  I am with Orange in France, and I've seen on other forums that people with the same setup are having problems with chromecast.  Some had success with changing some settings (see steps marked with *) but I was not so lucky.  

What I tried:

-  Cleared the cache for the two music apps (spotify and google play music), re-installed both apps, rebooted the phone, rebooted the router and factory reset the chromecast.
- Disconnected wifi on smart TV
- Spotify test account
- Different devices (iphone, tablet, laptop, PC)
- Tried Google play music ( has the same problems)

Things tried with the wireless modem:
- Checked UPnP enabled
- Checked AP/client isolation disabled (not available on my router)
- Set static IP for chromecast
* Tried setting different channels for both frequencies. 11 for 2.4Ghz, 40 for 5Ghz
* Tried disabling 2.4Ghz and using only 5Ghz
* Tried disabling 5Ghz and using 2.4Ghz
* Split my wireless to two different SSIDs and connected chromecast to 5Ghz and my phone to 2.4Ghz.
- Placed Chromecast in a DMZ (temporarily)
- Turning off my router firewall (temporarily)

...Resetting and rebooting between each step

Other information:
- chromecast 2, firmware 1.22.77272, purchased last week (problems started immediately)
- I am located in France
- Router model is provided by Orange, it's a Livebox 3 FR, fiber connection.  Frequent speed tests show 90 Mb/s upload and 90 Mb/s download on wifi (further from the router than the chromecast)
- TV Model is LG 47LB650v
- The LED light on the chromecast is solid white, even when the problem occurs
- No particular error messages, sometimes Spotify will say "failed to log in, try again" but that seems to occur less now.
- Zero issues with netflix, youtube, mirracast
- Premium accounts for both Spotify and Google Play Music

Goodluck!

View solution in original post

SUGGESTED POSTS