Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Condom Advert Feedback

Solved!

Condom Advert Feedback

Hi there, I'm relatively new to Spotify. I love the service, but I'm kind of weirded out by one thing: of late, they've been playing two Trojan (condom) ads. This is fine in and of itself, but I listen to my music in common areas a lot, places where my family can hear. When it comes to the younger kids, I'm nervous about them hearing it (they also have Spotify accounts of their own, so I'm a little concerned about that, too, because the ads are a bit...specific); with the older relatives, I know it'll just be too weird. Is there any way to report an ad or stop if from playing on your personal Spotify? I don't mind ads at all--I just mind this ad, considering the fact that it's legitimately weird. Thank you in advance!

193 Replies

I talked already on-topic about these condom ads...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Condom-Advert-Feedback/m-p/235498#M2064

Don't you see?

BTW Spotify need a option to Preferences "Allow these condom and trojan ads".

@Sam wrote:
Hpguru - Let's keep this on topic, please.

I HATE CONDOM COMMERCIALS~~~!!!!!  

I want something like on Facebook where I can say this content offends me, doesn't interest me, etc.  So that I can make it go away, but not being able to skip it is totally unacceptable.  I don't mind having to listen to ads for cars, etc.  But this is not appropriate and not cool.  

@chickpea22 wrote:

TOTALLY AGREE!  I just got on to say the same exact thing!  My 4 and 5 year olds have been singing the commercials now and asking what Trojan means.  Please stop playing them!  

Just tell them that a Trojan is a citizen of the ancient  City State of Troy.. Then tell them the story (simplified appropriately for their age) of the Trojan Wars , Helen of Troy and Wooden Horse.

The condom ads also seems to coincide with a serious ramping-up of the amount of advertisements Spotify plays. It used to be you could listen to an entire album and maybe hear 1 or 2 ads, now it seems to be every 2-3 tracks. It's super annoying and makes me want to ditch Spotify entirely and go back to good ol' piracy as my primary means for listening to music.

Moderators, will this forum be where we are let know if something is done about the ads or will it just change without any kind of statement?

Thefallout24 - We'll let you know when we hear something.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Marked as solution

Hi guys,

We really are sorry if this has caused any offence. It's worth mentioning that these ads really are targeted to adults and we never intend to target people 18 and under.

I've been told that the ad is now no longer running, have any of you heard anything?
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

What ad??? I use Premium. 😉

Glad to hear this problem is solved. Thanks.

I can now install Spotify back to my little brother's PC.

Seeing as you are a moderator, I was hoping that you could be the one to tell us for certain that the advertisement is no longer running.

Gosh_Josh - As I said, I've been told it's been stopped. I was just double checking with you guys. Only trying to help...
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

I appreciate your helpfulness Sam. Do not see my posts as targeting you. All I'm trying to say is that there is a fine difference between you telling us that you have been told it's been stopped, and saying authoritatively that the ad is no longer running. Do you see what I'm getting at? I guess that distinction is only important to people like me, who decided not to use Spotify until the condom ads were removed.

Thanks for removing the condom ads.  My family had a great time listening today and I was less stressed worrying about racing to the computer to turn off the adverts.  I think I need to visit Rite Aid tomorrow!

It wasn't the product they were advertising, it was the PG 13 content in the ad.   My little ones wouldn't buy that these ads were about the Trojan Horse....

Marked as solution

Right, as this advert has stopped running, I'm going to close the thread.

Thank you very much for all for the feedback. Again, we're sorry if any offence was caused.

If you come across any other ads that you dislike, don't hesitate to open up another thread.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts