Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Condom Advert Feedback

Solved!

Condom Advert Feedback

Hi there, I'm relatively new to Spotify. I love the service, but I'm kind of weirded out by one thing: of late, they've been playing two Trojan (condom) ads. This is fine in and of itself, but I listen to my music in common areas a lot, places where my family can hear. When it comes to the younger kids, I'm nervous about them hearing it (they also have Spotify accounts of their own, so I'm a little concerned about that, too, because the ads are a bit...specific); with the older relatives, I know it'll just be too weird. Is there any way to report an ad or stop if from playing on your personal Spotify? I don't mind ads at all--I just mind this ad, considering the fact that it's legitimately weird. Thank you in advance!

193 Replies

I'm a bit of a techno-idiot. Can you recommend another service?  Thanks . . .

I'm a bit of a techno-idiot. Can you recommend another service?  Thanks . . .

ya for the past 3 days its been the same one over and over again im quite annoyed with it

After the third Trojan ad, I turned off Spotify and brought up Pandora. You have less control over the music you get, but at least my 7 and 9-year-olds don't have to listen to condom ads while we fold laundry.

I am also increadibly offended by the condom ads. I see that in the past Spotify has discontinued an offensive campaign by Durex and I demand that they discontinue the ads by Trojan on exactly the same grounds. If it was a short ad once or twice I wouldn't even flinch, but the extreme length and frequency of these NSFW ads is disgusting. 

If nothing is done about it I will be uninstalling Spotify promtly. 

I'm home for the holidays and have grandparents around, as well as my four-year-old parrot of a brother, I do NOT need this ad coming on over the home speakers. I used Pandora for years; I'm willing to make the switch back if these ads continue. 

What a tragedy.  Yes, Spotify deserves ad money, and yes, I'm using the free version.  Having said that, I wish there was some way to select for G rated ads because this is terrible.  Now I have to monitor the Spotify ads when my family is listening to music (children under 10), and when I'm working with students (age range: 11-85), and when I convinced my mom to install Spotify on her iPad.  Awkward Holiday Moments Sponsored by Spotify!

Like so many other users, I'm looking for other options, including - gasp! - my extensive CD collection.

I know there's "no need" for a petition, but I did create one, mostly because the "kudos" system has gotten us so far at this point. 

@Hammeh wrote:

If you would like to see ad filters introduced, then I would suggest you all add your kudos and comments to this topic.

Also, since the free version needs to generate income, I can't see the audio adverts being removed since they are probably the main source of advertising income (as most people when playing probably aren't even looking at the Spotify window).

Peter

I realize that I did not make my point well. To sum up:

1. I don't object to ads, Spotify needs them to survive when people like me don't subscribe.

2. I don't object to condom ads. I have four kids, and have used a few over the years. Some of them are quite amusing.

3. I DO want to be able to have the ability to define times when I do not get "adult-oriented" ads. It doesn't need to be all the time, just when I know my kids will be listening, or I'm sharing at the office.

Follow the link in Peter's post above, add comments and kudos. I prefer Spotify to the other services, but I can't use it if I can't be sure it's safe for sensitive ears.

Let's see....

Ads for liquor (Bacardi), now ads for condoms...

Great.  Excellent way to attract new advertisers

and retain listeners.

When I hear that stupid ad or the booze ad,

I shut down spotify and go to another streaming

radio product.  I don't need objectionable ads.

I get enough of that with traditional media.

Advertisers Beware

if I wanted to advertise on Spotify and right after

or before my ad one of these trash ads ran, I would

have to seriously rethink using spotify as an advertising

venue.  I wouldn't want my product or sevice in any

way tainted by these ads.

Seriously people.  Are you going to be just like every

other media distribution company or something better?

Hello? Will Spotify ever respond to this in any way, or are they just going to sit on their hands as they lose customers by the bundle? 

No Kidding! Today I was babystting and listening to a KIDS album, and between Row Row Row Your Boat and the ABC Song, condom ads! TOTALLY inappropriate for a CHILDRENS STATION! And you want to know what 3 year olds think when they hear an ad for TROJAN MAN? Superhero! Let's pretend to be him! Explaining that to their parents was SO FUN.

I have loved Spotify ever since I found it. This year I thought it would be the perfect tool to play Christmas music while having family over for the holidays. I was shocked an very disappointed to here a Trojan condom ad come on. I was so embarrassed and it would not stop! For a whole minute we had to listen to how to "pleasure your partner!" This is completely unacceptable. I spent a lot of time putting a play list together (which is what I love about Spotify) for these events. After the ad came on AGAIN, I had to shut it off and use a different streaming provider. We had young kids and senior adults that were very offended by what they were hearing.

Came to this forum to post the exact same thing.  Have to turn down the volume (on my speakers, not in Spotify because it will pause the ad!) because I don't want my 7 year old to hear the commercial.  Spotify should have some sort of ad-tailoring system.

I've heard the Trojan ads so many times in the last week. I don't mind listening to ads, but please give me the option to block ads like the Trojan ones and even Victoria's Secret. I'm a music teacher and would like to use Spotify to play some music examples, but I couldn't risk it with the inappropriate ads. I'm not going to use Spotify until this is resolved. 

I have a feeling that most of us would be appreciative if we could get a break from the whole "Trojan Man!" thing, I mean, I'm really starting to get irritated by it. I honestly didn't mind the Spotify premium ads. Wheras I may have been on the verge of purchasing premium, I've been totally driven away from the idea.  I enjoy the conveniance of Spotify, but I can go back to Grooveshark of Pandora if I have to.There are those of us who value purity and respect those who protect their eyes and ears, because we're saving sex for marriage! We would be very thankful if you guys could respect that and go back to the old adds!!

Thanks,

Concerned user.

I agree with these statments!  They are awkward and graphic.   I am forced to use other methods of playing music when I have family over and I want background music.  Please remove!

I always wanted to be 17yrs old again. Problem solved no thanks to Spotify and it's annoying advertisers. 

Kids I High school have come to believe HIV/AIDS is just another chronic disease easily treated with medication. medication.     Kids need to see these ads and learn that condoms are not objectionale but may save their life and prevent great pain and suffering.  See some links

https://secure02.kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/stds/std_hiv.html

http://www.thebody.com/

And condoms are important when talking about any sexually transmitted disease.  Be careful about shielding young folks too much.  And if you as parents or perents to be are put off by condm ads as not being Family Friendly. I think you are mistaken.

Brian Iverson

@BDEye: Parents are supposed to be teaching kids about condoms, not Spotify. My two year old daughter doesn't need to know about this crap yet.

Suggested posts