Error code 4

Highlighted

Error code 4

Eric49

I've been using spotify without problems for about 3 years until a couple of days ago when spotify gave an error code 4 message right on startup. I've tried pretty much everything I could find but nothing has fixed it.

List of things I've tried: 

restarting spotify

reinstalling spotify (with commputer restart in between unninstall and install)

clearing cache

clearing all appdata

performing a clean unninstall and install

tried connecting while using a VPN 

tried using a proxy sever

tried restarting routers

tried different router

tried neighbours connection

tried a windows rollback to before the errors stared

Is there anything else to try or should i just swith to another music streaming service?

6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Error code 4

matanl
Regular

I don't think you can fix this. I think spotify are having issues with their servers or something.

Highlighted

Did you fix the issue?

luckylucas502
Casual Listener

I have exactly the same problem and i tried all the steps you did already too. When I start Spotify I can sometimes start a song for a few seconds, before the connection gets lost. My problem already persists for over one month, so I dont think server issues are the reason for my problem. Is there any chance you use rainmeter, because I have a plugin there, that shows the playing song, maybe it has something to do with  that, but simply deactivating its autostart didnt solved anything. And my firewall and Antivirus arent the problem either... Is there anyone with an Idea?

Highlighted

Re: Did you fix the issue?

matanl
Regular

Spotify servers are broken or your internet service providers DNS is not working properly.

Highlighted

luckylucas502
Casual Listener

Are you sure about that? Because the Spotify web app is working perfectly fine for me. Or is there a different Spotify-Server for the Web app? I mean its quite possible, its the fault of my internet provider, because my Discord Desktop App and my Teamspeak doesnt work either... Only the Discord web app works. All 3 Problems appeared at the same time.

Highlighted

StanCyka
I have the exact same issue, I use Pi Hole, and a SOCKS5 proxy, everything was working fine, and then suddenly Spotify and Discord stop working, still can't fix it.
Highlighted

Re: Error code 4

landondyer
Casual Listener

Spotify was working yesterday, now I'm getting that fabled "error 4".

Proxy settings seem fine (and I've tried endless variations). Firewall rules have not changed. DNS looks fine. I can log in on the native client, I just can't get to any content.

Guess it's time to crank up WireShark and see what's going on. Sigh.

SUGGESTED POSTS