Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Explicit adverts

Explicit adverts

Is there any way to stop Spotify playing foul-mouthed adverts? I accept they make their money through adverts but I do not wish to listen to some advert using the phrase motherf***** numerous times... I shall be leaving the service if this continues.

24 Replies

If your account isn't linked to Facebook, adjusting your age to < 18 has been known to stop some of the more annoying adverts.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The current adverts are not annoying they are extremely explicit.

Connection to facebook should not be of importance. I'm of age but my children also listening in the same room are not! 

It's unacceptable. A warning comes on explicit albums so an informed decision can be made. New music adverts should be selected as family safe. 

It's disgusting. 

Hi Raiye,

We apologise for any offence which may have been caused by some of the ads you've heard.

The ads which appear on Spotify are generally tailored towards the age which is displayed on your account profile, and so if the age displayed on your profile is 18+, some of the ads may not suitable for children. 

Please bare in mind that in order to use the Spotify Service, you need to (a) be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent to these Terms (spoti.fi/1jxiv9Z). 

Doesn't really fix the issue though does it? 

Such language should not be included in adverts full stop. 

I have the same problem with this.

You need to add a feature to filter these ads.

Pretty bad hearing them blast out at home whilst the kids are in the house.

I simply can't use the service any more.

What are you planning to do?

It has been something hotly discussed over on the Ideas Exchange for a long time too:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Ads-Filters/idi-p/11675

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Grace -

I notice that this issue has been running for sometime (cf. http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Ads-Filters/idi-p/11675 courtesy of Peter). Surely two years is long enough to solve an issue like this with enough support from the Spotify community? In the face of such evidence I can't take your apology seriously. What are you apologising for? There is no evidence you are doing anything about it and you give no reason why it has been going on so long.

And surely changing my profile age to <18 is a half-baked solution? Or is it that you consider Spotify to be an Adult service and hence anything goes?

Please bare in mind that in order to use the Spotify Service, you need to (a) be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent to these Terms (spoti.fi/1jxiv9Z). 

I really don't think this is an acceptable answer, as long as the account holder is using the account and not anyone else, does this mean that anyone else in the household is banned from listening, so you have to listen through headphones.  Considering Spotify is supposed to be a "social" tool, the reply above says it's not.   Yes, the account holder has to be a certain age, but if there are other people living in the house, such as children, then the adverts should be suitable for everyone.

I haven't yet encountered an explicit advert, so can't comment on them. 

It sounds like something you need to get sorted though. 

Well...the option always stands to purchase the premium version that does not have ads. Remember, when using any service, you have to agree to the terms of that service. I don't work for Spotify, but I see where they are coming from with the terms. Companies have to pay for the ability to listen for free somehow...

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

All good. 

Please point to the section in the terms that states I have agreed to explicit content. 

I get that..

I'm a premium user myself so ads don't bother me but if what the poster says is true then that means the language from some ads is probably worse than what's accepted on this forum.

I also understand that it's impossible to check every ad and even more impossible to draw a line of what is and what is not permitted (everyone has a different threshold there)..

Adult ads pay better and personally I wouldn't mind but that's because I have no kids yet..

A checkbox would be nice.

tag for more but only non-adult ads.. or untag for adult but less ads

That way, income wouldn't be hurt and it's a choice for everyone...

I got my first advert with foul language today. I understand the need for ads and happily listen to them, but it is totally unacceptable to be forced to listen to such disgusting lyrics.

Either censor the language, or maybe think about analysing the music being played by each client and targeting adverts accordingly. I've never bought a rap CD and never will, so that was a wasted advert and an annoyed customer. Surely giving me ads that match the genres I actually listen to would result in more uptake?

I'm really annoyed that I HAVE to listen to the mother****** advert while listening to Spotify with my children in the same room. I'm sure that I am not the only person with this issue. There should be an opt-out button for explicit language.

Also thinking of leaving Spotify if this carries on....

I understand that some might get a little offended when they hear that magic word: motherfu****, but in the end, I think those kinds will anyway hear those words and know what they are. From my point of view it is the responsibility of parents to teach their kids when and where to use those words. After all they are just words, so no big deal 🙂

Basically we could have a conversation like this: Why meat eaters are forced to eat vegetables between the hamburger, but not vice versa 😄

So don't take it too seriously 🙂

Life ain't that difficult... Just say: Hi!, Smile and be prepared to do something crazy...

To be honest, I don't like hearing it either. I'm sure my kids have heard it on the school bus plenty of times, but I just don't want to listen to it while listening to Mozart 😄

It is all about choice - from veggies between burgers to burgers between veggies...

Age does not matter "Grace". The explicit ads are disgusting regardless if the person is 13, 18, or 45.

No, this needs addressed.  Condom ads.  Very dark horror ads.  Ads saying A** recently.  Some of this is also the fact older users disagree with being forced to hear or see these sort of things, and with radio and television they are more censored than Spotify, you have more channels to escape to, and Spotify lacks tailoring to accounts for specific ads based on gathered data, which is good, since music is rather ambiguous to figure out what people buy let alone love.  Like explicit artwork on certain songs that are unwanted, this is another issue Spotify handlely ignores outright.

And we may be freebies, but the paid advertizing is money for you still and there is some trouble with us bothering with a free service that forces explicit ads.  We are paying...with ads sadly, but still paying some time to listen to them.  Please bear that in mind and at least give courtesy due and not upset people with inappropiate ads.  Some of these have been handmade with Spotify's help and contain explcit content.

Since this was still an issue 2 years ago I fear this won't be resolved any time soon. I work in a church, and while the words are not unfamiliar to me, "Metal AF" has no relevance to my life or the music I listen to. Maybe find a way to make the ads more relevant, thus making advertising more worth it for the advertisers? Having that ad jump out loudly in my office is not very condusive to me continuing to use the service at work. 

Suggested posts