Explicit adverts

Explicit adverts

lecoxsportif
Casual Listener

Is there any way to stop Spotify playing foul-mouthed adverts? I accept they make their money through adverts but I do not wish to listen to some advert using the phrase motherf***** numerous times... I shall be leaving the service if this continues.

20 Replies

Re: Explicit adverts

Peter__
Community Legend
If your account isn't linked to Facebook, adjusting your age to < 18 has been known to stop some of the more annoying adverts.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Raiye
Regular

The current adverts are not annoying they are extremely explicit.

Connection to facebook should not be of importance. I'm of age but my children also listening in the same room are not! 

It's unacceptable. A warning comes on explicit albums so an informed decision can be made. New music adverts should be selected as family safe. 

It's disgusting. 

Grace
Spotify Legend

Hi Raiye,

We apologise for any offence which may have been caused by some of the ads you've heard.

The ads which appear on Spotify are generally tailored towards the age which is displayed on your account profile, and so if the age displayed on your profile is 18+, some of the ads may not suitable for children. 

Please bare in mind that in order to use the Spotify Service, you need to (a) be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent to these Terms (spoti.fi/1jxiv9Z). 

Raiye
Regular

Doesn't really fix the issue though does it? 

Such language should not be included in adverts full stop. 

skinnabub

I have the same problem with this.

You need to add a feature to filter these ads.

Pretty bad hearing them blast out at home whilst the kids are in the house.

I simply can't use the service any more.

What are you planning to do?

Peter__
Community Legend
It has been something hotly discussed over on the Ideas Exchange for a long time too:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Ads-Filters/idi-p/11675

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

lecoxsportif
Casual Listener

Grace -

I notice that this issue has been running for sometime (cf. http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Ads-Filters/idi-p/11675 courtesy of Peter). Surely two years is long enough to solve an issue like this with enough support from the Spotify community? In the face of such evidence I can't take your apology seriously. What are you apologising for? There is no evidence you are doing anything about it and you give no reason why it has been going on so long.

And surely changing my profile age to <18 is a half-baked solution? Or is it that you consider Spotify to be an Adult service and hence anything goes?

Abbafan1972
Music Fan

Please bare in mind that in order to use the Spotify Service, you need to (a) be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent to these Terms (spoti.fi/1jxiv9Z). 

I really don't think this is an acceptable answer, as long as the account holder is using the account and not anyone else, does this mean that anyone else in the household is banned from listening, so you have to listen through headphones.  Considering Spotify is supposed to be a "social" tool, the reply above says it's not.   Yes, the account holder has to be a certain age, but if there are other people living in the house, such as children, then the adverts should be suitable for everyone.

I haven't yet encountered an explicit advert, so can't comment on them. 

It sounds like something you need to get sorted though. 

kbrooksc
Community Legend

Well...the option always stands to purchase the premium version that does not have ads. Remember, when using any service, you have to agree to the terms of that service. I don't work for Spotify, but I see where they are coming from with the terms. Companies have to pay for the ability to listen for free somehow...

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

SUGGESTED POSTS