Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Favourite Artists Have Disappeared - Windows 10 Desktop Computer

Favourite Artists Have Disappeared - Windows 10 Desktop Computer

I have Spotify on my Windows 10 desktop computer (via the App) and when I opened it today all my Favourite Artists had disappeared. I have spent many hours making sure I had all the best/my favourite tracks in Artists (and my Playlists).  When I checked Spotify on my tablet I was informed that the software had been updated and there is a new layout/functionality.

When I contacted Spotify I was advised that the change is due to the update and the artists would appear if I 'followed' them. (I have 180 + Favourite Artists on Spotify). The only problem with this  was when I 'followed' the artists I was not able to delete or modify the selected tracks as I could do previously.  With Artists I now get many more tracks including duplicates. I used to be able to play my 'Artists' with the tracks I had selected (The best/most played tracks on Spotify)  PS. You can play your selected tracks via 'Songs'

The playing of My Artists and My Playlists was fantastic before this update. 

I welcome your suggestions/thoughts/feedback 

6 Replies

Hey @J2hnn34.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We've recently updated the way that music is saved on Spotify, and we just wanted to confirm that the changes you've noticed are expected behaviour.

We regularly run updates to improve your experience with the app. The refreshed Your Library was developed to help you manage and access your favorites faster. It’s the first version of this update and we’ll continue to build on it based on your feedback.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if there's anything else 😉

Peter,

As prevoiusly stated I was not notified about the updates on my desktop computer. So, it was a shock to loose all my 'Artists' playlists. I had about 180 of them in 'Artists' and used them to compile the best tracks (most played Spotify tracks) from all of their albums. As I have over 430 'Playlists' (in about 250 folders), which I was recommended by Spotify to reduce, I couldn't add my lost 'Artist' ones.

Now I have got used to the updates I quite like them. I can now play the complete artist albums (as I used to years ago). Also, as before, play my 'Playlists' which include live tracks and radio sessions.

I am now following 78 artists. Before the update I was not following any.

I use 'Songs' to play the artist tracks I have saved ( just like I did when it was in 'Artist'). This would be OK if it didn't keep on disappearing (requiring me to reinstall the App).

I have still got too many 'Playlists' which I do not want to delete as I have taken many hours to compile them. It is fantastic to have one place with all my favourite music which I have enjoyed my whole life (50 years +). 

Do you have any feedback/suggestions?

John

Hey @J2hnn34.

Thanks for getting back to us - we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the new update!

Do you mind clarifying which of the things that you listed is an issue for you? We'll be happy to give you suggestions about how best to use Spotify with the new update 🙂

We'll be looking out for your reply.

My main issue is the suggestion by Spotify to reduce my 'Playlists' (to approx.200) to alleviate operating problems. Is this why 'Songs' disappears quite regularly or is it that I am improving/updating my Playlists on a daily basis?  I am not happy to delete my 'Playlist's' if I am not confident of being able to restore them at a later time.

Does having them in folders improve the situation?

I was not aware of the limit on 'Playlist's' when I started Spotify.

Hey @J2hnn34.

Thanks for getting back to us and clarifying that.

There isn't a limit on the number of playlists you can have on your account - there is only a limit to the number of songs you can save to Your Library/download on your devices (10,000 songs on each of up to five devices).

You mentioned that you received a suggestion from Spotify to reduce your playlists. Was this inside the app, or did you read it somewhere? In any case, if you could send us a screenshot or a link so we could take a look, that would be great.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply.

I have attached two screen grabs of emails from Spotify Customer Support suggesting a maximum limit to the number 'Playlists' (200?). One from 22 June and one from 29 June. Also, comments on my concern about there not being a guarantee on being able to recover deleted 'Playlists'. 

I have very few 'Saved' tracks (Liked Songs) in my 'Playlists' and only 6-7,000 in 'Artists' (nowhere near the 10,000 limit). With the new update if I want to include the complete albums (saved to my Library) to the 'Artists' I have followed I don't need to save all the songs within the album. Sometimes I have a combination of 'Liked Songs' and complete albums within 'Artists'

Can you view how I have set up Spotify on my computer and make any suggestions of how I can improve it?

It would be great to have your clarification about the maximum number of 'Playlists' I can have and if it helps to have my 'Playlists' in folders. If I have to delete them - the Recovery process.

Spotify Playlists 22.06.2019.JPG
Spotify Playlists 29.06.2019.JPG

Suggested posts