German Telekom special Spotify Edition - will it kill the freedom of the internet?

German Telekom special Spotify Edition - will it kill the freedom of the internet?

mahop
Casual Listener

Hello Spotify users,

I would like to here your opinion!

The german telekom is one of the biggest, probably even THE biggest, internetprovider in germany. during spring they canceled the flat rates in ther products. Now they offer only a limited flat rate - after a certain amount of traffic they cut down the speed of the internet connection to a very low level. Other internetproviders in Germany are following this practise very fast.

Well, this is ctritical, but OK so far.

Now they start offering products like Spotify and if booked over Telekom, the traffic produced with these products (like Spotify) is not included in the trafic that will cut the speed.

This practice will kill all small companies that provide internet services. I'm very satisfied with spotify and many other intenet services, but in the long term I probably will not be able to use them any more in a good way, if not booked over the internetprovider.

And I think that this is very critical for the freedom of the net.

Spotify is supporting this unfair behavior of the german telekom. Why? You want to shovel your own grave in the long term? If, in the future, you are not satisfied with your partner telekom germany any more there is no way back...

What do you think?

Kind regards from germany,

Markus

2 Replies

Betreff: German Telekom special Spotify Edition - will it kill the freedom of the internet?

robbe_hb
Roadie

Hello Markus,

i hope that this behavoir will be stopped by political forces. if not, i would cancel the contract and change the provider. i expect that telefonica/o2 will do the same so there is maybe only 1&1 and other small local providers as replacement.

exciting it is when business models like lovefilm, maxdome etc does not work in the future because customers can´t use it ...

will they then pay the telekom for traffic of there custumers??

Robert

--
robbe (at) email.de - www.rbx0.de
Highlighted

Betreff: German Telekom special Spotify Edition - will it kill the freedom of the internet?

mahop
Casual Listener

Hi Robert,

thanks for your opinion!

I have M-Net as a provider. M-Net is as small but technically very good provider in the area of munich. This is as far as I know the only bigger provider here not limiting the transfer rate right now. All the other already followed bad Telekom way.

And why should we wait for political forces? If communities like Spotify don't work together with Telekom they will fast rethink their position...

Greetings,

Markus

SUGGESTED POSTS