HiFi - Lossless - where are you

Solved!
6 people liked this

Re: HiFi - Lossless - where are you (week 8 no update)

decooney
Gig Goer

Just cannot get over the difference in sound, detail, sound stage with Tidal Lossless. 

To re-check myself and my ears and thoughts for a fourth and final time Last night I went back and forth again about 10 times on the same song.  With Spotify Premium its just too rolled off on the highs, lacks detail, and imaging is not the same. Some songs it can be a pretty dramatic difference on a revealing hi-fi system.  

Going back to Tidal each time immediately sounds more engaging and enjoyable.  All of the instruments, drums,  strings, cymbols,  take on a completley different tone and texture. Much more real sounding.  The depth of the sound stage from LOSSLESS on Tidal is a very different listening experience.  I'm a hard sell type of person, and I would not have believed it until I tried it after 10 different friends pressured me into it.  Anyone who cannot hear a difference, no need to change, but for those who have great hearing and a revealing Hi-FI system, it's a game changer for sure.  It's better than speaker or amp or cables upgrades by just changing to a different streaming service provider. Hard to believe for those who've not tried it yet, but it's true.   

2 people liked this

kenb129
Music Fan

"Those who have not tried it yet..."  That's the key, I believe. Maybe if people read this thread and start voting for lossless Spotify will finally listen.

3 people liked this

Re: HiFi - Lossless - where are you

edubernabeu

I had to leave Spotify due to quality of sound. I moved to Qobuz, is just awesome. 

8 people liked this

decooney
Gig Goer

CANCELLED Spotify Premium just now.

Filled out Exit Survey with no hope.  

NO LOSSLESS = GoodBye Spotify. 

2 people liked this

JontheC
Regular

You think?.. . Look how far back these threads go...

Im nearly 30days into my trial of another service... The difference is not subtle. 

1 person liked this

michpe1111
Regular

I'm really considering my Premium membership if Spotify don't wan't to offer Lossless streaming or at least lossless downloading of own playlists. CD quality sound is a must for me today. More radiostations deliver lossless streaming today, example RiversideRadio.nl

By my phone agreement i'm offering music streaming at 320 kbps without paying more. Numbers of competitors to Spotify will encrease, and offering best sound quality will be one of the most important issues for choosing our music streaming supplier.

3 people liked this

decooney
Gig Goer

Exactly.  Radio stations saw the writing on the wall and got SMART quick to do whatever they can to retain their listeners.  Spotify is too late.  Mass exodus started some time ago it seems.  Too bad, there were some things I really did like with Spotify.

YOUR PLAYLISTS?

-Now what to do with all those Playlists you created (easy) with Soundiz!  

TRANSFER them! 

Soundiz https://soundiiz.com allowed me to convert all of my Spotify playlists to Tidal playlists, one playlist at a time with free membership. Works for other services as I take it. I only tried Spotify > Tidal.  This tool allowed me to make the final decision to bail out on Spotify Premium. And, guess what that does?   Puts the consumer in control. No I don't work for soundiz, just saw the free service and tried it. 

FREEDOM to Choose:  

Now with these playlist conversion/migration tools no service provider can hold anyone hostage with their playlists. Game over!  

shadyjones

There is something wrong with Spotify.
It sounds much worse than it should at the encoding quality they offer.
That is the reason so many people hear such large difference with other services.
I can only conclude that something is wrong somewhere in their audio processing pipeline that causes this.

Watch this video for proof. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURPQI3VW58

So until that is fixed I don't think that lossless will fix anything.

2 people liked this

futureperfect
Regular

Just read today that Spotify wants to buy a service for podcasts. Doesn’t sound like they are interested in music lovers, more that they are like a supermarket - easy to access and just focused on easy to consume 

I am so happy with my Qobuz subscription - the sound quality is awesome. 

Looks like it’s not a match between us. 

For all the people out there who want to enjoy music - give tidal or Qobuz a try - you won’t regret 

4 people liked this

e0d5v5-_ev3gc
Casual Listener

I am doing ongoing comparisons since Christmas between Spotify Premium, Apple Music, and Tidal. My primary interest is to find a service that helps me play a variety of music on a high-end audio system with GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers, a Yamaha A-S2100 integrated amplifier, and a Benchmark DAC2 DAC all fed from a Windows PC. I was happy to see Tidal offer a 3 month greatly reduced trial for their lossless service which gave me a chance to compare 3 leading services with notes below.

Notes include:

1. Tidal Sounds best hands down and it offers much of the feature set of Spotify when using the new Windows 10 App Tidal has released. I am in no way ashamed to have people over and play my high-end system with Tidal running. It sounds like my CD collection or the ripped copies as fed from Foobar with WASAPI audio.
  2. Apple's Music sounds second best but lacks the usability of either Spotify or Tidal on my Windows high-end listening system. It is the best if limiting oneself to iOS for the Siri integration. On the high-end system, I consider this to offer about 80% of the sound quality of Tidal. I just dislike iTunes as a player  as it takes some enjoyment away from the listening experience.
  3. Spotify sounds the worst of all even though its bitrate is technically higher than Apple Music. I rank this to deliver about 60% of what Tidal does on my high-end system. Yes, I have Spotify set to the highest audio setting and to improve dynamic range I told Spotify I am listening in a quiet setting. I suspect Apple’s AAC implementation is technically better than Spotify’s encoding. If you think about it, 320kbps of Spotify should sound better than Apple’s 256kbps but it truly does not.

I must say Spotify has the nicest overall interface and this is the reason I write in hopes they will offer lossless before my 3 months of Tidal trial are complete and I convert to Tidal. I do value interface but ultimately, why spend $10k on a high-end stereo system only to play low-grade sound? That is why Tidal will win for me unless Spotify comes to life on a lossless offering.

SUGGESTED POSTS