HiFi - Lossless - where are you

Solved!

Re: HiFi - Lossless - where are you (week 8 no update)

kenb129
Music Fan

Somehow I think the "magic number" for action is much greater than we'd expect. People want the user experience better, whatever that means to them, than higher sound quality.

1 person liked this

futureperfect
Regular

Yes, there are a lot who just care about the experience. But that’s not what I call listening to music. If you listen you accept a less good experience of the user interface because the sound quality blows your mind away. 

I am using a MacBook running audirvana with Qobuz - it’s so much fun. Tried the latest Roon release with Qobuz, but miss some details I have with the other combination. Spotify is even in the car far behind of what I can enjoy. There UI is really great, but the quality is so bad that I can’t enjoy it. But i am addicted and not representative 

1 person liked this

decooney
Gig Goer

@kenb129 wrote:

Somehow I think the "magic number" for action is much greater than we'd expect. People want the user experience better, whatever that means to them, than higher sound quality.

That type of single channel business formula may work until customers believe than can get "both" needs met somewhere else for the same or less cost.  Technology and efficiency changes must move fast for any company that wants to survive and maintain it's shareholders for the longer run.  

1 person liked this

Alexi_Krystal

I did it! I've signed up for Tidal-- thought I would need a month to make an intelligent comparison with Spotify. Nope, the quality difference was immediately apparent. Goodbye, Spotify. Hello, Tidal. 

Screenshot_20190129-102341.png
2 people liked this

decooney
Gig Goer
Agree, the difference is not subtle.
2 people liked this

decooney
Gig Goer

re: Comparing Sound (Spotify Premium vs. Tidal HiFi) Lossless with friends - 

Two locals stopped by and we listened to their favorite audiophile tracks to compare the two streaming services yesterday.  Went back and forth three times.  Both commented they could hear new things in the soungs "they had never heard before" once we switched back to Tidal Lossless in each Lossless track. 

Also, while Spotify can sound smooth with its more compressed sound and rolled of high frequency detail, the sound stage is also more forward, with Spotify Premium... a litte more in-your-face presentation, not bad but very different.  Whereas Tidal Lossless Hi Fi's sound stage can be a bit more laid back, with a "mid hall" audiophile type of sound stage presentation. The people in the room all agreed the sound stage was not only depper, but larger and wider too.  Lossless.  

Both went home to sign up for Tidal HiFi.  

Sure hope Spotify is paying attention.  

decooney
Gig Goer

Two locals stopped by and we listened to their favorite audiophile tracks to compare the two streaming services yesterday.  Went back and forth three times.  Both commented they could hear new things in the songs "they had never heard before" once we switched back to Tidal Lossless in each Lossless track. 

Also, while Spotify can sound smooth with its more compressed sound and rolled of high frequency detail, the sound stage is also more forward, with Spotify Premium... a litte more in-your-face presentation, not bad but very different.  Whereas Tidal Lossless Hi Fi's sound stage can be a bit more laid back, with a "mid hall" audiophile type of sound stage presentation. The people in the room all agreed the sound stage was much larger, wider, deepter too.  

kenb129
Music Fan

@decooney wrote:

Two locals stopped by and we listened to their favorite audiophile tracks to compare the two streaming services yesterday.  Went back and forth three times.  Both commented they could hear new things in the songs "they had never heard before" once we switched back to Tidal Lossless in each Lossless track. 

Also, while Spotify can sound smooth with its more compressed sound and rolled of high frequency detail, the sound stage is also more forward, with Spotify Premium... a litte more in-your-face presentation, not bad but very different.  Whereas Tidal Lossless Hi Fi's sound stage can be a bit more laid back, with a "mid hall" audiophile type of sound stage presentation. The people in the room all agreed the sound stage was much larger, wider, deepter too.  

I doubt they are, the money is to be had elsewhere at this point. Look at the success of SiriusXM and it's atrocious sound quality, most want the convenience of satellite radio and happily pay for it.

decooney
Gig Goer
Bummer. We all know the Spotify user-interface is better on an Apple Mac laptop via OSX or iPad on IOS. If and when Tidal or Quobuz get theirs in gear the drag race will continue going in a completely different direction.

kenb129
Music Fan

@decooney wrote:
Bummer. We all know the Spotify user-interface is better on an Apple Mac laptop via OSX or iPad on IOS. If and when Tidal or Quobuz get theirs in gear the drag race will continue going in a completely different direction.

The Spotify interface is really the only advantage right now. It's easier to navigate and recommendations tend to work well for me. Is it enough for me to keep Spotify when my Tidal trial expires? Probably not. For an extra $10 a month for FAMILY lossless I think I can deal with the Tiday interface.

SUGGESTED POSTS