How do I seed a radio station with incividual tracks and/or artists

How do I seed a radio station with incividual tracks and/or artists

sawdin
Regular

I apologize if this has been answered before, but how can I "seed" a radio station with individual tracks and/or artists?  It seems the only way to customize a radio station is to use the thumbs up or thumbs down option.  Customization would be much quicker, and more precise, if one could add individual tracks.  Is this possible?  If not, what "workarounds" are available?

To my mind, creating a playlist is different, as when I play a playlist, I will only hear songs that are already on the playlist.  I want to discover new music, and the best way to do this seems to be starting with a customizable station that can be seeded with individual tracks and artists.

TIA!

7 Replies

Re: How do I seed a radio station with incividual tracks and/or artists

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hi,

This feature currently isn't available in Spotify Radio, but it's a good idea! It's somewhat similar to this idea, which you can add kudos to and leave a comment to register your idea with the developers.

blakeRock Star 21
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

sawdin
Regular

Think I may have found a "workaround" to this...

One of the main complaints w/ Spotify is its lack of a "Pandora-Like" Radio option.  However, if you seed a playlist with specific songs and then start the Playlist, a "Start Radio" button appears- VIOLA, problem solved!  Seems to work...

Peter__
Community Legend
It will work, but if you add more tracks to that playlist after starting radio the first time - reports have it the radio station created won't take into account the new tracks.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

sawdin
Regular

Thanks...I noticed when I used the thumbs up or down while the radio was playing, I received a message that the radio was being updated.  However, that is quite different than the station being "updated" when adding songs to the playlist.  I'll start a new playlist with one Americana song, start the radio and play a few songs.  Then I'll stop the radio, add some electronica to the playlist and then restart the radio to see if the added electronica tracks were incorporated into the station.

Unbelievable that Spotify hasn't implemented a simple solution long ago...

sawdin
Regular

It will update! It may take about 5 minutes, but it will update!

Now, how in heck do I delete the "test" station that I created???  I've heard that you cannot deleted a station once it is created, which is utterly ridiculous! 

sawdin
Regular

The other problem, and it is a MAJOR PROBLEM, for Sonos users is that fact that there isn't a "Start Radio" option linked to the Playlists in Sonos!!!  Again, unbelievable that this issue hasn't been rectified when people have been clamoring for a fix for years. 

Peter__
Community Legend
There isn't radio on any partner devices unfortunately, it't not just Sonos. Wondering if it will ever be fixed now Spotify Connect is a thing.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SUGGESTED POSTS