How do artists get paid

3 people liked this

How do artists get paid

Danielandsimon
Casual Listener

Hello everyone, I want to be an artist and I would like to know the answer to a bunch of questions.

1. How much do Artists get paid (Amount) 2018.

2  How much of their earnings do artists get, does Spotify take a cut.

3. What is a Stream or Play.

4. If a song is for example 1 minute will they get paid the amount of 2 streams or only 1 stream.

5. If someone downloads your song does Spotify still pay the artist on how much they listen to the song ipeven if it's downloaded.

Thank you for your help and time and I hope I get answers soon.

3 Replies
9 people liked this

Re: How do artists get paid

ArtistLARSEN
Music Fan

Hey Daniel,

I'm an artist and have released music on Spotify, so I can provide a lot of insight to this question. The way you get songs released on Spotify is through a distributor, such as Tunecore & Distrokid for example. You usually have to pay a small fee to this distributor for them to release your track onto spotify, or you can choose not to pay a fee and the distributor may take a % of your royalties.

It takes Spotify up to 90 days to report earnings to distributors. So your earnings in one quarter may not apear until the next (6 months overall). The rate of pay depends on the context of your listeners. This include their location, their account subscription (free or paid), and a numerous amount of other factors. 

Spotify pays the distributors for the artists on how many streams they get, not downloads. I'm fairly certain the length of the track is not important unless it is a mix. 

I am speaking for myself and not spotify when I say that I earnt around $0.0045 USD per stream. However please do not calculate this and demand a pay cheque from your distributor using these numbers as it will be completely different. Best of luck! 

2 people liked this

Danielandsimon
Casual Listener
Thank you I hope you or others can also answer my other questions.
Also do you know if tidal still pays artists if their listeners are on a free trial or do they have to have paid accounts so that the artists get paid.
Thank you

ArtistLARSEN
Music Fan

In regards to tidal you should probably ask them on their platform. 

SUGGESTED POSTS