Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How does the Spotify algorithm work?

How does the Spotify algorithm work?

How does the Spotify algorithm work? I mean the "Made for you" section. What does Spotify exactly track? Of course, If I listen to EDM then Spotify would make Daily EDM Mixes and Discover EDM Weekly. But is that the same with local music? Maybe I listen to a lot of rock in my local files via Spotify. Would the Spotify algorithm get it and suggest me some rock music too? And does the algorithm also work with custom-made playlists?

7 Replies

Hi There, 

The spotify algorithm works by the music you litsen to and the genre. Therefore, it creates daily mixes, discover weekly (new music) and your release radar, as well as new songs they suggest for you in your playlists based on the name/genre. For example, if I litsen to Billie Ellish frequently, it would suggest more Billie Elllish on my Daily Mix and songs similar to her type of music. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Hi There, 

The spotify algorithm works by the music you litsen to and the genre. Therefore, it creates daily mixes, discover weekly (new music) and your release radar, as well as new songs they suggest for you in your playlists based on the name/genre. For example, if I litsen to Billie Ellish frequently, it would suggest more Billie Elllish on my Daily Mix and songs similar to her type of music. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Hey  @user-removed

The algorithm doesn't monitor your local file usage.

Spotify algorithms observe all playlists you create and listen to, all artists you check out and so on, to improve the generated playlists (Discover Weekly and Release Radar) and Daily Mixes.

Local files are unknown to the algorithms. Of course, sometimes Spotify recognises some of them, but this hasn't happened to me. 🙂

Hope this helps!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have a question in this same area 

can Spotify “learn” based on what a person listens to? I’m very new at this. 

For example I created a playlist starting with the Allman Brothers Trobke No More, and then an Eric Clapton deeper cut. Spotify wanted to give me Charlie Daniels, but a real person with knowledge of the genres would immediately know I’m really wanting to go in a blues direction

i sorta want to know more about this before I invest time and sign up for premium

thanks 🙏  

1. Collaborative Filtering 
  2. Natural Language Processing (NLP) 
  3. Audio 

Data Science is sexy

More here:

https://medium.com/s/story/spotifys-discover-weekly-how-machine-learning-finds-your-new-music-19a41a...

Actually machine learning is the rehashed name for what used to be known as artificial intelligence and it’s not quite there in many applications yet.

I have to find a streaming service that understands music, not just the most popular songs on the rack under a genre

My Spotify family listens to my music and quite regularly. My music that is on Spotify will show up on the Weekly releases playlists but it won't pop pup on any family playlists or summer rewind or any of those. That's kind of disappointing. I wanted to add this to the topic because I am also trying to figure out how Spotify works and how it works with lesser-known music. 

Suggested posts